• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Member -First Question! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Having joined the club I thought that I should say hi from this side of the pond! The prompt has been the arrival of the 2009 Cooksey Shugart. Many thanks - and how did you get it to me so quickly? It took less than a week even though we are beset with postal strikes here at the moment. Brilliant service!. I've also ordered 'American Watchmaking and look forward to that too.
I started collecting watches only back in 2005 starting with English ones- my earliest is a c1760 William Frodsham movement recased in 1853. I didn't get into US watches until I bought a Fattorini of Bradford and found that it contained a Waltham movement. I've only bought American since!
I'm afraid that I'm no engineer or technician and I have to think very hard to understand how the watch actually works. - the skill and the knowledge that I've seen on 185 are astounding. I enjoy the watches for what they do and what they are- tell time which has been an endeavour of man forever, and their beauty - many are just such works of art. My early training and profession was as an historian and I find a real fascination in researching the foundation and the fortunes of the watch companies and seeing in the watches a reflection of American history. As a result my collection is a bit broad at the moment as I try to get examples from Waltham to Knickerbocker!
Why 185? I looked at other discusiion sites and found them a bit aloof. I could imagine asking one of by dumb beginner's questions and getting a snooty answer! The expertise, generosity and friendship that I've seen on 185 are impressive - guys are really prepared to go the extra mile to help out others with the same interest and there are no put downs.
so, first question: I went to a collectors'fair at the weekend and picked up an Illinois Sangamo, 16 size, 21 jewel, c1912, double roller, adjusted 6 positions number 2480530, Fahy's double hinged GF case. I love it! I've looked at Shugart 2009 and think that it's a Model 5. It was described as a Getty model but is it and what does this mean? Any information gratefully received. If photos would help I'll start experimenting with taking clear ones at the weekend!
Best Wishes

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hello Keith

Let me say welcome from the Southwest & glad to see you made the decision to sign up here, you sure won't regret it except for maybe hanging out here too much.

When I 1st started I too found the same thing as you until I found this site, I don't even look elsewhere any more.

Your watch is a Illinois Model 5 21J Lever set open face, made in 1912, there were approx. 11,295 total made. Your watch is adjusted to temp., 6 positions & isochronism. Ruby jewels, gold setting, gold balance screws, polished gold train wheels with rounded spokes.

Yes it is what is referred to a Getty, a Getty model has only the ratchet wheel visible & there is a crescent shaped click. The models 4 & 5 were named after their designer Fred I. Getty.

Not all Sangamo's are Getty, & other were also known as Getty's. Any Illinois with the one ratchet wheel & moon click is a Getty.

At least that is my understanding of Getty's, I am sure other members will post more & please correct me if I am wrong.

Again welcome to the club & please do post some photos, we all love to see watches.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Keith,
If you will go to the find-or-search category at the top of the page and type in the word getty you will find a lot of info. Smile
Tony

posted
Hi Keith

Welcome to the IHC 185!
Nice to have another member from this side of the pond Wink
Feel free to ask whatever you like. We all here are fascinated by the different aspects of watches: technical marvels, pieces of art collectibles, whitness of history...
We also like to bring back the story behind a watch looking for information of persons connected with the names of watchmakers and persons named on personalized or labeled watches.

Regards,
Gerald

BTW: If your photographic experiments succeed I would like to see some pictures of your W.Frodsham (and others).

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Keith and I too would like to welcome you to IHC185....

I think that you made the correct decision to join with us and our search for a little bit of heaven here on earth....our watch collections....

As you have so aptly observed, we are a bunch of unassuming folks, ladies and gentlemen all, and we love to talk and show our watches to anyone that will give us but a minute or two....

Our membership spans the globe including your side of the 'pond' and this side as well....

You are always welcome to ask any question that you need an answer to because if you ask it then someone else will not need to ask it, believe me we all have the same questions at times....

As has been suggested, we certainly love to look at others watches, so, please, if you get an opportunity, show us your watches also....

Come back to visit with us anytime and make it soon....

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Welcome Keith, and congratulations with your discovery of another Getty Sangamo. To me (as a admirer of Getty design mvements) these are rare and exceptional movements, sort of the "Vincent Black Shadow" of watchmaking. To massage your pictures, there is a free Google download called "Picasa3" which sizes, adjusts and assembles pictures quite nicely for posting on our site. For example, here is one of my treasured Getty Movements a-la Picasa 3

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Welcome Keith to the worlds best Internet Watch Club. Everyone has been simply great and understanding. There is no such thing as a dumb question here. The only dumb questioons are the ones that don't get asked so you never get an answer.

Ernie

posted
Great to have you aboard Keith. You will find that this will become your home for all things horology, Stories, Pictures, Answers and even our own auction site. Just great people without attitudes, so enjoy and post often...Oh, we would love to see your watch..

Ray

posted
Keith,

Welcome to the site.

I'm a fairly new member myself.

This site is a great place to get information about watches that would take a long time if you tried to figure it out yourself.

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Welcome, Keith! Glad to have you with us. I am relatively new to the club and to watch collecting in general.

I am so fortunate to have found IHC185. The members are some of the friendliest people that I have met. And the willingness to freely share thoughts, ideas, tips, pictures and parts makes this the absolute best horology site there is. Smile

posted
Hi All!

I knew I had done the right thing by joining! Warm thanks for all your welcomes and for the information - I look forward to a long relationship!

I'm away for the weekend (big rugby match, Wales & New Zealand!) but I will get going on some photos next week. Sangamo & Frodsham!

Happy Hunting - I'm off now to look at the 185 auction site!

Keith

posted
Hi, All

Back from the match - Wales lost! I'm pretty ashamed of the following shots but a promise is a promise and I shall persevere! My wife has a better camera and I'm going to learn how to use it!

Best Wishes

Keith

posted
Sangamo 1

posted
Sangamo 2

posted
Frodsham1

posted
Frodsham 2

posted
Frodsham 3

posted
Very nice watches Keith, Love that Frodsham.

Ray