Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18 size 23 jewel Bunn Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I recently acquired this watch which was on ebay and didn't sell because it didn't make the reserve. I worked out a deal with the seller after contacting him and the watch is now mine. I don't normally collect 18 sixe watches much bit I do have a nice 21 jewel for this one to nestle up against. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many of these were made. I see many more 24 jewel than 23 jewel so I was curious to know if there fewer of this version. Also if the case would have been right for the time frame. The dial has a few hairlines but the hands are in very nice condition. If I found a nice "Gothic" dial, would it be appropriate? Yhanks for any help you can give me on this...you guys amaze me with your knowledge.
Thanks,
Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the front view....

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
.....and lastly the inside of the case.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
After looking at it a little closer I notice there is another set of case screws. Obviously not the right case. It raises questions about the hands as well. Watch does run great though.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
After looking through my Roy Ehrhardt Identification and Price Guide I discovered there were 18 size "Extra Heavy" spade hands available (part number 9509 & 9510) available that look just like these on the watch. I guess that would answer the hand question. But numbers and case are still unknown. Any one have any info on those?
Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Steve,

That is one BEAUTIFUL movement and great pictures!

As to your watch, as you know 3026630 is according to factory records an 18 size, Lever Set, Open-Face, 23-Jewel, Model 6, Bunn Special from 1916 production. As to how many, if I added it up correctly Roll Eyes there were 6,060 of the 23J Open Face and some 10,500 plus of the 24-Jewel version. I recall when first getting serious about these watches it took me quite a while to find a nice 23-Jewel example.

About your case it looks to be "time-period-correct" and those two "chewed-up" areas where another movement once resided can be filled in with gold solder. What appears to be a dent on the case-back could also be straightened at the same time. Assuming the movement fits that case well you might want to consider having repair work done professionally. There are case repair services available, one that comes to mind is IHC185 Member Leon Harris who is highly recommended.

About your Gothic Montgomery dial, despite damage it is correct and very desirable.

Lindell

Here is a look at 2858888 my 18-size 23-Jewel example...

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Lindell,
Thank you so much for your honest assessment of my watch. The price is sounding better and better all the time. This is one I am going to hold onto for quite some time. Actually, I was given Leon's email address by another member (whose name escapes me right now) to inquire about the refurbishing of a Model 10 Sangamo case and he never got back to me. I suppose I could try emailing him again....maybe I was spam.
Thanks again for all your information, I will update my catalog discription.
Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Lindell,
Is yours also a Keystone case? What does the back look like? Can you post a picture? Also, who made the choice of the hands? Was that a factory decision or did the customer order them like that?
Steve