• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Motor Barrel "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I hate to sound like a dope, but can someone define for me just what a motor barrel is?

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Steve,

Maybe this explanation by David Abbe will help.

Steve

Motor barrel

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dave Abbe wrote a good topic on this and cannot find it now,

hope this helps a bit

Plain Barrel: i.e. without teeth, used in fusee watches and clocks. A chain, or cord, was wound around the plain barrel, connecting it to the fusee.

Going barrel: the form used in modern watches, is wound by turning the arbor and drives the watch movement by a ring of teeth around the barrel. This enables the mainspring to continue running the watch while it is being wound.

Hanging Barrel: a version of the going barrel that to save space is supported by the movement only at its upper end.

Motor or safety barrel: used in pocketwatches around 1900, a reverse variant of the going barrel in which the spring is wound by turning the barrel, and turns the watch movement by the central arbor. The purpose of this arrangement was that if the spring breaks, destructive recoil forces would not be applied to the vulnerable gear train.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Steve, I see you found it Smile

posted
Thanks much! I often see the term, but not an explanation. I appreciate all your help!

Steve