Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois-Burlington Watch Co. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Can someone help with some more info on this watch. I couldn't find it in Cooksey. The movement doesn't match up to anything I could find. It has a gold train and a steel escape wheel. After a new mainspring and a good cleaning it is running nicely.

Thanks!

posted
Hi Roger,

serial number 3,055,419 should be a grade 107,adjusted to temperature and 5 positions,jewels in raised settings,21 jewels made for "The Burlington watch co." as Private label by Illinois watch co. in the year 1916.
About 85,300 made of 69 runs between the year 1916 and 1929.Your watch should be part of the fifth run from serial number 3,055,001 to 3,055,500.
In my opinion,dial and hands are not originals to the watch.Iam sure other members can confirm that.
I hope this helps.

Andrea

IHC Life Member
posted
Thank You for the info Andrea! I would be interested in knowing if the dial and hands are correct or not. The dial is metal. Does anyone know??

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Roger, You have the case which is often times the hardest thing to find. The dial and hands should look sort of like this 19J I just finished restoring tonight.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
These movements are real "purdy", yours and this 3 finger I just finished. Cool

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Roger, I scanned 2 pages of the 8 or so pages in the gold "bible" filled with Townsend's 16 size Illinois plate cutting variations for their many, many movement styles. I am not at all surprised that Cooksey has little interest in illustrating all of these styles.

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks David!! I love that dial on your Burlington Special. Beautiful. The movements are very nice on these watches. Appreciate the info. (wanna trade Big Grin)

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Roger,

As Dave pointed out, the cases are hard to find. I have a 21 jewel that I have been looking for a case for about 8 months now. I found a dial and replaced the one that was on there which is shown in the photo below. Not pristine by any means but an original Burlington dial. If you would like this one and can work majic like Lindell (or leave it as it is) You are more than welcome to it. Let me know and it is yours.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is the dial that replaced the one above....now if I could only find a nice case.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Mine has the Grade "107" false bridge movement...

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here's an update....I just bought this nonworking 19 jewel in a Burlington case for $51.01. Not sure how great the case will be but it is an original Burlington case. It could use a new bow but it might be ok. The hands look original as well.

Steve

IHC Life Member
posted
Steve...Thanks for the offer of the dial. I think I would like to try and do something with it. Glad you found a case. You have the same grade 107 (thanks Andrea) that mine has.

Roger

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Well the donor watch arrived today. The dial was a mess and the balance staff was broken and the case looked to be a mess. I took the simichrome to it and worked on it and it ended up looking pretty nice after it was all said and done. Now my 21 jewel movement has been located into its new home. I even put the other hands on it so it should all be right now. It will need a new crystal however.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
and the final topping...its is officially a triple signed Burlington watch...

IHC Life Member
posted
Nice!!

IHC Life Member
posted
Steve...I have been working on the dial a little at a time. Thanks again for sending it. Hopefully it will turn out pretty well.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Roger,

The good thing is the seconds sink markings are all there and you should just have to carefully build up and shape the edge around it. The hairlines will add a little character. Hope all goes well, glad I could be of some help.

Steve

IHC Life Member
posted
This is the best I could do with the dial Steve sent me. I didn't have the same materials that Lindell used, so my results could have been affected somewhat by that. Anyhow, it didn't turn out too bad and I now have a correct dial for my Burlington. Thanks Steve!

Roger

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Roger,

That is quite an improvement over what it use to look like. It should look great on your watch.

Steve

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I just received this triple signed Burlington Special today. It is a 19 jewell, double roller,
#2771823, model-D.

Runs great, but the movement, dial, case, is full of dirt, etc.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A Montgomery dial with hairline and a chip by the 3 position. And a plastic crystal accompanied by ( of course) rusty hands!

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Lastly, the case is a Burlington Watch Co. Case case in very nice shape, no brassing, stiff bow with a small wrinkle on the back.

posted
I recently bought a catalog for Burlington watches on eBay. I'm not sure how old it is, but I know it is from after WWI.

posted
Here is one of the illustrations:

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Steve,
Thanks for a peek into the book. I was watching it on e-bay, but missed the ending of the auction. Frown
Are there to many pages to make a copy?

posted
Color copies would run into some money. Would black & white be okay?

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Steve,

Thanks for sharing!

Debbie

Smile

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Steve,
Black and white would be fine, if it is not to much trouble.
Ed

posted
Good! I'll try to make it in to Kinkos to make copies tomorrow, but we've got a bad ice storm coming in, and next weeik may be even more of a mess, with the holidays rushing up on us. If you give me your address I'll make the copies as soon as I can!

posted
I have two 12s Burlingtons. One is a hunting model 2, grade 274 19j serial number 2,394,776. It is in a B&B Royal 20 year case. The other is an open face model 3 grade 275 21j serial number 3,238,363. It is in a Burlington octagonal case. The first dates to 1911, the second to 1917. My theory is that some time in the interval between these two Illinois began casing these watches in the factory.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
My three Burlington Specials are, #2143044-1908, #2465236-1912, #2771823-1915, and all are in Burlington Watch Case Co. cases.

posted
Well, that shoots my theory all to pieces. My hunting case watch must have been recased.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
You have me interested in this aspect also. Maybe we can solicit some input from some of the the other members.