Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Authenticity Questions... "Click" to Login or Register 
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Looks like we need a topic specifically for authenticity questions.

Smile

Picture of Bob Christie
posted
^

Hi,
I bought this at the Mesquite Show friday morning. This case is like brand new, the crown will cut your fingers,it is green. Does this mvt. match this case? Also I bought a two tone 173, green and white. S.N. on the case 7089578. The type 2 P mvt. S.N. 5457799. Does this mvt. match this case? I bought another 163 in a white 173 case ( variant Dial ) at this show that I will post later.
Your Friend,
Bob Christie
P.S. This is a block buster forum!

Picture of Bob Christie
posted
^

This is the second watch, I was referring to. ( Mint dial )

Picture of Bob Christie
posted
^

posted
^

Hi Bob, You can see that by my list of Wadsworth Cases that the movement on this first model case is later than the case.....because The case is early with the square cutout under the crown and dates to around 1924/5 give or take. You provided a serial number to me of 7,205,xxx which would verify a date more appropriate to 1925. The movement dates to early 1929 and may have been finished as late as the end of that year being it is a 23J. Here is a perfect example of an INcorrect switch made by someone long ago or last week trying to help their movement with a very nice case. Now we can verify that the numbers here just don't jive, ha! Still you have nice components that you can sell and other collectors/buyers are helped with much needed components and can then get their watches closer to being "correct" or matching in time frame. So in a sense we are tying to make lemonade out of lemons, good lemons that they are.

The second example you are asking about is a 173 Keystone case which we know can not be specifically dated except to say it was introduced in 1930 and used through the 1930's. The movement is an early 163A from 1931/ late '32 depending on when it was finished and sold. The case is very much appropriate for the high grade movement so here we have a watch that may be/is very well "original" but is at least correct and should not be broken apart but sold together in my opinion. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing the other 163. Happy "Get 'Em Correct" Hunting!