• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help With Illinois Watch Bunn Special 23J 60-hr "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello All, I am new to the forum and quite honestly new to watch collecting. My father-in-law recently passed away and my mother-in-law has entrusted me with some of his collection of watches and other railroad related items. I am selling these items for her to help supplement her income since she has taken quite a cut since her husband passed away.
One of those items is a circa 1930 Illinois Bunn Special 23 Jewels 60-Hour Pocket Watch, serial number 5334282. The watch appears to be in very good condition and I can wind and set the time. The case is engraved "Illinois Bunn Special Model #206" It is a Keystone Watch Case stamped J.BOSS 14K Gold Filled 7101592. I am a little confused about the “type” as one posting seem to indicate this was a type III while another seemed to say it was a type I. One thing I haven’t seen yet is a watch with a third red hand. I am not sure what function this hand serves. I am also trying to determine what an approximate value for this watch might be before I try to sell it.
If anyone could provide insight I would be very grateful.

posted
More Images

posted
Watch Movement

Watch Movement

posted
Watch Movement Closeup 1

Watch Movement Closeup 1

posted
Watch Movement Closeup 2

posted
Watch Movement Closeup 3

[Movement number: 5334282]

posted
Case

[Keystone case number: 7101592}

posted
Watch Back

Watch Back

posted
Watch face with crystal

Watch face with crystal

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The watch is an Illinois "163 Type I". There were 3800 total produced just like yours. Also there are 7 different variants of the "163" watches and a Type III is not one of them. Here is a listing of the different "163" variants;

Bunn Special 163, 163-E and 163-A "THE SEVEN STARS" Database

The dial is called a "23J 60 Hour" marked variant dial.

The hands are called Time Zone Hands or "TZ" hands. They were marketed for the RR man/personnel who during the course of their train travels or designated trip might cross into or over into a different time zone and therefore would be 1 hour different. At a glance the train personnel would know what the correct time was according to their exact location.

These watches fluctuate in value so check the selling venues and you should get an approximate value of your watch at the time you are ready to sell.

The watch appears to be above average in condition but not "mint" state. If it has no servicing date that you know of, I would recommend a servicing by a watch repairman before it was wound and ran for very long a time. We have several good repairmen on our site that have the knowledge to service your watch. Use our members business directory to search out and find an IHC 185 member to service your watches for you here;

IHC185™ Members Business Directory

regards,
bb

posted
Thanks BB!

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Bill hi,
Not a good idea for us to give values. As Buster has so astutely pointed out, prices fluctuate with the times, however these higher class watches such as this one remain fairly steady. If you will consult your new Complete Guide to Watches on page 279 it shows the latest average prices for sales and auctions.