Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fancy Back Bunn Cases "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Decided to make a topic on its own.....

First off is Bernie's example... If i get a higher resolution scan it may can be enlarged somewhat... I loose details quickly...

posted
Robert sent me a couple of images... I have cropped, sharpened and reduced for inclusion.... i have a larger size if needed

one...

posted
And again....

posted
this is/was? one of mike's... I took these for him some time ago...

posted
and another...

posted
and the pair...

posted
Terry,
WOW! Your pictures of Bunn Special pattern cases
are super...I almost feel like I can reach out
and touch them...in wonderful condition. Thanks
for showing. I appreciate seeing them.

bernie

posted
GREAT THREAD, Terry!! Glad to see some of these pictured, that in first model are hard to come by. Any of these pattern cases are seldom seen, but I think those particular patterns are quite scarce.

Yes I still own the two that Terry has pictured here. They are White 173's and are carrying around 163 Type IIE movements inside. I have some others, another pair that are only 2 serial numbers apart and another one with a "purse" pattern that is like the pattern Lindell showed on his "droopy" bow #28 last week. The others I have are "Engraved" 173's also and house some of the additional IIE's in my collection as you might expect and are white in color as well. Most are matched up with the Flying J Marked Montgomery dials, and held in hand they make for nice packaging to say the least.

As we were saying this fancy pattern back option was offered by Illinois in the late 20's and early 30's for 2 dollars. That sounds like a no brainer today, but we must remember that it was 2 days pay back then for most workers and bread was 2 cents a loaf. Still, I would say it would have proven to be a good investment over time.

These cases show true American pride in workmanship and are very beautiful to look at , especially when in nice condition and all the detail is there. A special thanks to Terry, for putting these up and starting this thread. I remember the afternoon he was up and photographed these for me and appreciate his including them here for the post. They do have incredible luster and condition.

I won't say what I have been offered for just one of these cases alone but it is much more than one thousand times the original owner's initial 2 dollar investment for just the engraving. So.... not a bad investment at all I would say. Of course finding one for sale in this condition is the hardest part as they just keep going ever higher. Happy "more patterns" Hunting!

posted
Just picked up in a collection

tu tone 173

posted
Here's another First Model WGF factory engraved case back.

Larry

posted
Here's an unusual Model 29 with a factory engraved case back (10k YGF).

Larry

posted
An all-white gold-filled Model 173 factory engraved case back.

Larry

posted
How about a Model 107 white gold-filled factory engraved case back?

Larry

posted
Here's a green gold-filled Model 173 with a fancy engraved back.

Larry

posted
Duplicate of Michael Chamelin's Model 173 engraved back case--only in the two-tone green and white gold filled.

Larry

posted
Here are twins in two-tone green and white Model 173 engraved back cases.

Larry

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Amazing examples Larry!

Thanks a million for sharing them. Cool

Wink