Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Sangamo Special" Style Cases "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Please post images of some of your Rigid Bow Sangamo Special cases.. details of the bow area, the engraving on the case ring, etc....

(I Don't Own One.... Eek)

Show your Dials off also....
Feel free to participate.... then we will get to some others... I will be looking for some of the ads to post also...

posted
Yes, the stiff bow, the rigid bow and the floppy bow 193 Sangamo cases were made in all three colors, in both gold filled and solid gold , and all three styles had a choice of hinged (or "jointed") cases , as well as screw back and bezel , which would have cost less. I have never seen an ad showing the cost, that I can remember, of a Sangamo Special screw back and bezel case, but I have seen the screw backs in all three styles through the years in my collecting. Let's see now, to have them in both variants(screw back or hinged), in all three colors , and in all three styles and of course to have one of each in solid gold as well as in gold filled ,well someone help me with the math but I count that adds up to around 36 "possible" different variations of Sangamo Special cases for the 60 Hour Model 13 Sangamo Special.(not counting a case that had a factory engraved pattern) Whew!! What a collection that would make!! Happy "Impossible Sangamo Special Case Collection" Hunting!

posted
Thank you Mike...

Screw Back and Bezel Stiff Bow...... now that HAS to be a scarce critter..........

I have seen them in rigid bow.....

and the engraved back examples are WoNdErFuL......

IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
Hi Terry,
As per our previous discussion this is the 14kt, 23j I was going to pass up, and then had a weak moment.
Fred

IHC Life Member

posted
case

posted
MOre MoRe Fred !

Can we get a glimpse of the dial sans bezel?

I am glad you reconsidered on this watch Wink

Note to all.. see the details on the bow....
this goes away quickly with use

posted
Whith all the stiff and rigid bows, I though maybe a 193 screw bezel and back would be different..

posted
The movement..

IHC Life Member

posted
Terry,
As requested

posted
Thank you Fred,

i hate to say it..... but that may be a 16s dial.... but a desireable one at that!

Thanks John, Yes those are 'different', nice, unusual cases and will get more into them when we reach the time frame of its introduction of 1931... thank you for posting this excellent example...

posted
Very nice case indeed that Fred has there, unfortunately, as Terry says, that is without question a 16 size dial, Canadian or Military style, dating to between 1913 and 1917 with its straight line font of "Illinois". That said, it is a very desirable dial and has a nice value but is not original or correct for the 17 size watch it is on. Perhaps what is so misleading about it , is the fact that it has gothic hour chapter markings we are so familiar with for the Sangamo Specials. Perhaps a Canadian jeweler switched it for a customer some 70 years ago , who knows, but sadly it is not factory original to the watch. Whether in porceline or metal , the original dials for the Model 13 Sangamo Specials were without question always 17 size, as was the pillar plate. Sadly , through the years, I have even seen the pillar plates on some of these filed down to accomodate the 16 size dials and 16 size cases. Very disturbing. As a very minor side note, the second hand does not appear to be original, either. Now please don't shoot the messenger, all this is only mentioned for informational purposes. Again, an exquisite case!

IHC Life Member

posted
Mike & Terry,
No insult taken. The watch is what it is. I knew the dial was incorrect before I purchased, but decided to buy it anyway,( I overlooked the second hand ). Unfortunetly that makes two Sangamo's that I have in my collection that have 16 S dials instead of the correct 17 S. Maybe someday I'll find correct dials for the watches and use this dial on something else.
Regards
Fred

posted
Fred, no insult was intended and i am glad none was taken... it is still a nice combo...

i am also 'glad' you knew about it during the purchase... and hope some of 'our' "pointers" helped the recognition of it..

posted

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Terry,
More outstanding "SS" info would be appreciated.

Robert

posted
more coming... but it may be after oct 31 before i can add more.. i have a couple of busy weeks ahead of me...

have not forgotten..

posted
Thanks,

Robert

posted
Before we go forward, this item is good enuff to back up on............

Chapter member Robert Smothers is the proud owner....

posted
the matching card........

posted
other side

posted
movement

posted
n side case

posted
Really nice Robert. BIG TIME congratulations.

Where did you dig this one up from?

Good to see you again in Salem. Hope to see you back at the Chpt 17 meeting soon.

Charlie

posted
Hi Charles

I found this watch on a mail list. It was good to see you and other Chapter 17&185 members in Salem as well. I overlooked the last 17 meeting and intenteded on coming down. I would like to join chapter 17 as I have no land based membership. Please alert me as to the date of the next meeting.

Robert

posted
Terry,
Thanks for continuing this very interesting series on the "SS" and to Robert for sharing his really nice "Pyramid" Sangamo Special, box, and card.

What year was this movement made?

Robert

posted
Hi Robert...The movement should be a 1921-22 model.....Robert

posted
Robert,
Thanks, and again for sharing.

Robert

posted
To Both Robert (s)......

Chapter 17 meeting January 8, 2006 in Salisbury NC....

and Meggers Illinois Book confirms a 1921 dating...

posted
Thanks Terry, and fast forward to the "Rigid Bow".

Robert

posted
My model 10 serial no. 3,775,055-case no.5,619,242 -pyramid bow, hinged bezel, screw back, is marked Sangamo Special Patented inside the case back No patent date. Thanks again for the minute hand, Robert!!

posted
What was the time frame for the model #193 Sangamo Special case? Ads?

Robert

posted
meggers lists it as 1931 introduction....

posted
Thanks Terry.

Robert