Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Sangamo Specials! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

We have arranged a few images of selected Sangamo Specials that are believed to be correct examples shown in these databases...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...81029912/m/907104411

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1029912/m/4231069691

This topic might be a good place to share additional images.

Wink

posted
^

Lin,
Thank you for compiling the Sangamo Specials data base. We can only imagine the time it takes, but it is appreciated! Below are three pictures of 4166419 my 23j Sangamo Special. I think you can take what you need from these 3 pictures.
Mike

posted
^

The dial.....

posted
^

The back, Wadsworth case...

posted
I am concerned that the hands on the 1923 Sangamo Special example I posted above may not be correct. I'm on a steep learning curve. Someone advise me here, please.
Best,
Mike

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Mike,

The hour hand looks to be a bit early, that particular design was not used on Sangamo Specials after about 1918 but it was used on various other Illinois watches until the "Hamilton Influence" hands came into common use during 1928 production. Whereas the minutes hand is the later style and I cannot see the seconds hand clearly enough to make a determination.

Lindell

Wink

posted
I was afraid I was going to have some "inconsistencies" with the hands on my watch; thank you, Lin, for taking a close look for me.

Now, I hate to appear foolish, but what is the difference between a rigid bow and a stiff bow? Is there just one rigid bow style and one stiff bow style as appear in 'The Complete Book'?
Best,
Mike

IHC President
Life Member
posted

There were three-hinge versions of "Rigid" and "Stiff" cases as shown in the "Complete Guide to Watches" on page 289 and both were available in gold-filled as well as solid gold. We seem to find fewer of the "Stiff-Bow" and since that bow design is more subject to wear a nice one can be hard to find.

As to variants, the "Rigid-Bow" case also came in an unusual Screw-Back and Bezel design, the back and bezel have the edge design usually associated with the Sangamo Special 193 Case and was also used on the Bunn Special Model 29 Cases. Here is a topic about those...

Unusual Sangamo Special Rigid Bow Case, Model 193 Bezel?

But be careful, Mike Valek's example may take your breath away!

Wink

Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Hi Lin!!! Hope all is well..... A follow up , and its good for a laugh. I met a so called "expert" in antique's who accused me of faking my Sangamo. Her reasoning was this...the watch looked to "NEW" to be antique she said it was a swiss copy. I had to bite my lip before I said anything. I recall someone mentioning a song walk away Renae! Wink