Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Getty models "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I know that the 16s Getty model- Illinois movements are a really nice looking and very popular with watch collectors,and many think they're among the best American watches.Is there anything mechanically better about these compared to the other Illinois models?I know the winding system is way different than any other watch, with the single ratchet wheel and fancy click, but is that a better setup?I've also heard that holes in the plates where the hidden crown wheel turns can get worn out on some of them.Thanks, Ted.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ted, I have restored over 150 Getty movements and can only say (as I have many times) this is the most durable and wear-free movement design that uses the standard in-line escapement system of regulation. The "Ratchet wheel" is actually cartridge driven by a on-way clutch system that is fundamentally foolproof given that it is assembled properly. It is unable to "slip" due to crown wheel "hole wear" because that is not exactly how it engages.

The only slippage would be due to inebriate damage to the star clutch spring. I really mean inebriate because you have to be drunk to mess it up.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Ted,

These are really nice watches in every respect. I've gotten away from buying loose movements because dials and cases are a bear to find. I only buy them cased with dials in the best condition I can find.

The high jewel count ruby jewel models are hard to find parts for. But otherwise, they are really easy to work on and rarely have issues that can't be sorted out in a matter of minutes.

I don't recall if it was from some old musings from Dave Abbe or an old thread somewhere here that I remember hearing the early models had issues with the stem winding mechanism wearing out... but that was engineered out of the later models.

As the story goes.. the reputation of the Getty was too damaged to recover and Illinois went on to focus on new lines and designs.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Dave & Paul.Come to think of it, I probably should have asked this in the Illinois section.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ted,

I moved it into the Illinois Research Forum.

Debbie

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Paul this was a theory of mine that was discussed in 187 markings That I have no proof what so ever.