Picture of James H. Miller
posted
17 jewel adjusted to temp 5positions isochronism

posted
17 ruby jewels s.n. 2117954

posted
sorry about the pics.ill try to get better ones this weekend.

posted
i wounder what this is worth today?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jim,

Assuming your 17-Jewel Bunn is marked "Bunn -- Springfield, Ill. -- 17 Ruby Jewels -- Adjusted Temperature (NOT TEMP) 5 Positions, Isochronism -- Double Roller" and it is of Sunburst Fifth Pattern, Damaskeened Nickel with black filled engraving and fronts a Double-Sunk Glass Enamel Dial marked as "Illinois Watch Co." in Old English with movement numbers between 1813801 and 2858200 produced from 1906 through 1916 and is an Open-Face Movement then the late Bill Meggers opined on page 83 of the "Illinois Encyclopedia" that 3,200 were produced of this particular variant.

It might be better to say "approximately 3,000 produced" today as there are some overlapping variants that have come to light in recent years. Anyhow it is one of the more desirable 17-Jewel Bunn variants, in fact I have one in my collection as you'll see in the image below this posting. As to value, the 2008 "Complete Guide to Watches" lists the 18-size 17-Jewel Bunn in the first listing on page 278 and 175 / 250 and 450 are the current estimated values.

Lindell

Wink

Compare to 1826583 which is likely the same variant...

posted
thanks Lindell
i wounder why that other book said there was only 100 in that run?also can you tell me do those hands look to be the ones that should be on that watch?
james

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Jim,

We are speaking of a different place in the same book, there were only 100 in the particular run in which your movement was produced, but of the variant, which is the way your movement was marked there were apparently about 3,000 of that variant produced. Both the "100" and the "3,000" are true numbers but all the information must be used together and understood for what it really means, not taken out of context.

Think of it this way, you have a certain year and body-style of car. On the day your car was assembled in the factory there were only 100 of that style built but over the entire model year there were 3,000 made. The fact that only 100 of that body style were assembled at that one particular time is of little or no consequence, that number must taken in the context of the total number of them produced over the entire model year.

When Dave Abbe showed you an excerpt from the Illinois Encyclopedia, the portion he used clearly showed a "3,200" total for Open-Face on that particular 17-Jewel Bunn variant on the last line. Dave also mentioned that your movement was from a "100 piece run" which is true as it helps place it chronologically but that one point has no real effect on rarity, desirability or value and therefore really is not a factor in and of itself.

It is important to understand that each slight difference in movement markings is an individual "variant" and those differences are what can greatly effect value. For example, there are seven variants of the Grade 163 Bunn Special and they vary in value from $3,000.00 to $30,000.00 based upon the rarity of the variant in question. Understanding this fully can become complicated at times but it is a fascinating subject.

Looking up an Illinois number to determine year of production and how many were in that run is only the first step, one must then continue the process and research the movement fully in order to have complete information. Please read carefully what I posted after you in the "Illinois Pocket Watch Question" for additional information about your particular movement. Bottom line, if your movement markings are identical in every respect to the image I shared in that topic and above in this topic then it is that same variant.

Hope that helps explain variants a bit further,

Lindell

Wink

About the hands on your movement, those shown in your picture appear to be replacements.

Hands common to 18-size Bunn and Bunn Specials...

posted
what would we do without you Lindell?

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Glad we were able to help you Jim Big Grin The real fascination of this hobby is that "something new we learn every day" along with the realization that no one person has all the answers, knows it all or ever will. This hobby is a constant learning experience, and that is what makes it so much fun.

Wink

posted
i know not a day go's buy i dont learn something,it may not always be what i want to here but the truth is the truth.