WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Illinois Watch Company Research Forum    Is it just me or are there alot of Bunn Specials in Hamilton BOC cases? And why?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is it just me or are there alot of Bunn Specials in Hamilton BOC cases? And why? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am a huge fan of Illinois watches with emphasis on Bunn Special models. My question is why do I see so many late model 161's - 163A's in wadsworth B.O.C cases with hammy crowns. Ebay has several up now. Can these all be recased? Opions encouraged
Regards, Bill

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

William,

Check out these links…

"Hamilton Buys Illinois Watch Co." Announcement from 1928

This is what you expect to find...

THE USUAL ILLINOIS BUNN SPECIAL 21-JEWEL 60-HOUR IN ROSE ILLINOIS CASE

And finally, here is the direct answer to your question, read this entire story...

READ ALL OF THIS TOPIC: Late 161A movements with Hamilton-Style Cases & Dials Database

In the late 1940s Hamilton essentially "dumped" their excess inventory, the full story is very interesting.

Lindell put a further explanation of these unusual watches here...

WADSWORTH-HAMILTON CASE NUMBERS, History, Pictures of Cases and Database of Numbers

QUOTING LINDELL: "Finally, during 1948 some of the last new 21-Jewel Bunn Specials were marketed in leftover Number 3 Cases. For that reason if you find a late 161A Type II P Bunn Special housed in a Wadsworth-Hamilton Number 3 Case with no other screw marks please resist the temptation to re-case, you may have found an original combination. Click Late 161A's with Hamilton-Style Cases for more about these unusual Bunn Specials and what to look for."

Ed and Lindell tracked these for several years!

Debbie

Wink

posted
Thank you