WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ILLINOIS 18 size HUNTER PRIVATE LABEL MARKED: "SOMMER & PIERIK" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
DIAL & MOVEMENT MARKED SOMMER & PIERIK 17 JEWELS,ADJUSTED,MODEL 2,S/N 1,182,217=1893,CHALMERS REGULATOR. ACCORDING TO THE ILLINOIS CD THIS S/N IS A
15 JEWEL MOVEMENT BUT IT IS CLEARLY A 17 J. MOVEMENT.
MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP CLEAR THE AIR ON THIS MATTER AND TELL ME WHAT I HAVE HERE.

Roger

IHC Member 1357
posted
CLOSE UP

IHC Member 1357
posted
MOVEMENT
SOMMER & PIERIK

IHC Member 785
posted
Roger you have a 15 j. watch. An easy way to tell is by the center wheel. If it was jeweled it would be a 17 j. watch. Yours is not jeweled so it is a 15 j. watch.

Harv

IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Harv,but the center wheel is jeweled. The
picture has a shadow there. Will post a better one.

Roger

IHC Member 785
posted
Thanks for the better picture Roger. The only way you will know for sure is to pull the dial and count the jewels. I have a 16 j. Columbus. We originally thought it was a 17 j. until I pulled the dial. The center wheel was not jeweled on that side. On these old watches you sometimes have to count the jewels to find what the correct count is. Many are listed as 13-17 and can fall within that count.

Harv

IHC Member 1357
posted
Harv, I pulled the dial.

Roger

IHC Member 785
posted
Roger you have to pull the cannon pinion to see if the center wheel is jeweled.

Harv

posted
Looks like it is even marked 17 jewels , looks like a rare , make that MEGA-RARE ULTRA low production prototype illinois

IHC Member 1357
posted
Kevin,it is marked 17 jewels. I doubt it is a rare
prototype. The Illinois records are not 100 % correct. Just confusing at times.

Roger

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
They where railroad watch inspectors.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Eugene for that info. I thought that they were but could not find that information.Looking in all the wrong places I suppose.

Roger