• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info needed on new "to me" Illinois watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A friend just gave this Illinois pocket watch. The serial number is 4837618. Any information would be helpful as to detail on dates, type, worth, etc. This is my second pocket watch, but I could get addicted Smile Thanks!

Watch face

posted
Another question -- It has a plastic face cover?? Shouldn't this be a crystal? Should I get it replaced, can I?

Watch back

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Hello Byron and Welcome!

You have a very interesting Illinois watch, some facts about it are as follows...

Number 4837618 is a 12-size, Pendant-Set, Open-Face, 19-Jewel, Model 3, Grade 407 from 1926 production.

(Source: William Meggers' Illinois Encyclopedia, page 413)

I'd recommend having one of our IHC Watch Service Professionals clean do cleaning and service. The dust and lint are a potential problem and since the regulator is all the way to an extreme that indicates proper servicing is advisable. That would be the time to evaluate the crystal. Many who carry these watches prefer plastic to help guard against breakage but they originally came with glass and a glass crystal is a worthwhile upgrade.

Also consider Joining IHC with the watch guide offer. That book is invaluable, the first source for knowledge in our hobby. Full membership in IHC will get you into our trading mart and all the members only features, this is a helpful and friendly group that I am proud to be associated with, I urge you to join us!

Link: Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Don

posted
Thank you, Don! That is amazing that there is so much info from a serial #. My next question would be how to get a hold of one of the IHC Professionals to see about service?

BLP

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Hi Byron,

I collect 12 size Illinois watches and yours is the first Grade 407 that I have seen. Only 5300 of these were made versus over 500,000 Grade 405. Nice watch.

John III

posted
Byron,
Be scared, be very scared!
I became addicted after buying a broken Illinois pocket watch at a local auction, now I can't stop for fear of the withdrawal!! I was flooded with childhood memories of holding my dad's pocket watches in my hands and being amazed by how they moved, while he explained what was happening!
Like I said, Be scared!!
Bill
Very nice watch you have!!

posted
How often do these watches need to be wound?

posted
Any ideas on how much this pocket watch is worth?