Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Two-Tone Movements "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I thought I would post some beautiful Illinois two tone movements inspired by David Abbe's post here.

The first one is a 16s, Grade 185 that I bought from David on ebay. This is an OF watch with serial number 1876897, 17J, Getty movement, and gold screws. It has a spiral two tone DMK pattern. It is housed in a nice Illinois display case.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
The next one is a 16s, Grade 305, 17J, serial number 3922052, open face, with checkerboard DMK.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
This one is a 16s, Grade 304, 17J, OF, serial number 3436692 with spiral DMK around the outer half of the plates.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Next is an Illinois 16s, Grade 306, 17J, OF, with checkerboard two tone damaskeening in the center. Serial number is 2448317. This one is also in a display case and is marked "Adjusted 4 Positions" and has the gold screws and regulator.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Next is a 16s Santa Fe Special open face watch Grade 806 with 21 jewels. The DMK is sort of in a checkerboard diamond pattern. Serial number is 2971580. This is the first pocket watch I ever bought, and I picked it up in our Member's Only auction area.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is another 16s Santa Fe Special Grade 806 with two tone DMK, but this one is a rare hunter case. Serial number is 2658403 and it is also a 21J watch.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
The last one is a 16s, Grade 186, OF, watch that I bought recently on ebay. Like David Abbe's gussied up Grade 186, I think this is a very special watch. Has the full gold package.

I got the watch today. Like I thought, the yellow crystal has rusted the hands, but the rest of the watch is in decent shape. The serial number is 2537764 from the last run of 300 Grade 186 watches produced. Here is a better picture of this gorgeous movement. Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Let's see your examples. I could never get tired of seeing these two tone works of art. Big Grin

posted
Absolutely gorgeous, John!

Think of the experimenting, the trial-and-error, the extra steps that went into the two-tone effect. Add that to the plate DMK patterns and you have a true work of art - and you've got at least seven of them. Smile

posted
Great topic John, here is a Paillard Non Magnetic Getty two tone

posted
And my two toned 18 size Rail Road King

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is another 18 size two tone movement marked 17 Ruby Jewels, Bunn, Springfield, Ill., Adjusted, serial number 1707243.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
How about some 12 size 2-tone Illinois watches.

This 12s watch has wavy 2-tone stripes in the center. It is marked "Illinois Central", and it is a 17J, Grade 404. Serial number is 3141246.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Another 17 jewel 12s Illinois Central with 2-tone stripes in the center. This one is a Grade 415, serial number 4547163.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a 17 jewel 12s Illinois Grade 405 marked "Ambassador". This pretty movement has fishscale on the outside with a gold middle. Serial number 3963400.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a scarce Illinois 12 size watch. This is a Grade 44 with only 1000 made in one run. It has 17 jewels and a serial number of 3099955. The outer portion of the movement has spiral 2-tone damaskeening. I picked this one up off of ebay for $90 before Christmas.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I'm gonna add my latest addition, this 17J 305 to the mix of Illinois two tones. My Illinois data base does not mention two tone runs for this model. I've seen plenty of 12s two tones, but not that many of these 16's.

Needs a staff and a full COA, but should clean up real nice.

IHC Member 1736
posted
another angle. Not only is two tone not mentioned, but this pattern is not common to the 305 either.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Nice looking watch Paul.

posted
Here is my 175!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Paul,

Nice one! Never seen that pattern before.

Jerry,

What a beauty! Nice Getty with wavy sort of squares.

John III

Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Love the two tone movement....here's one of mine. I think I still have a 16sz Getty at home as well....Ill have to check.