• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Off Duty? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This watch appears to be an Illinois Off Duty, but there are some subtle differences. The numerals are slightly smaller, and the case is different. This is a common 17j grade 307 #5,339,373 in an Illinois Watch Co. Sterling Silver case. Can anyone tell me if this is an Off Duty model? If not, what is it?

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Hi Stephen
According to Fredric J. Friedberg's book "The Illinois Watch" "The Life and Times of a Great American Watch Company." page 176 shows 2 pictures of the Off Duty ( one of the dials has a red 12 that adds $300 to the watch value)& both have 14k WGF Wadsworth case # 211 (Stars on the bezel & back of the watch, same case is used on the much sought after Skyway). Your dial above differs from the #8083 dial in that the Off Duty dial has a distinct knob on the end of the numbers two. In my humble opinion, your watch does not have the #8083 dial, nor the Wadsworth
# 211 case. I did not see your watch in the Illinois book. NOTE: The #211 Wadsworth case is also used on the Illinois Skyway & Greyhound.

I'm just the messenger!
Wayne

posted
Thanks again, Wayne. I just wonder how the value compares to an actual Off Duty.

Steve G.

posted
As a bit obsessed Illinois collector, the value of this watch is likely no where near an Off Duty. Frankly, IF I had to bet, I would guess that this was likely assembled from various parts, and the case MAY not have originally contained an Illinois movement -- perhaps a PW conversion, but who knows. Please confirm the exact wording how the back is stamped with "Illinois". That said, it is attractive, and the dial seems to be an original dial with an original silvered second track.

Rick

posted
Thanks a lot, Rick. I'll take another look at it when I get home.

Steve

posted
Here is the watch and case marks:

posted
Here is the movement:

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
I just wanted to add this photo of an Illinois 307 wristwatch that I have for the record. The case is a Star Stellar. The 24 hour numbers have been added to the crystal. Very crude.!

Bill Carlson

posted
That is very interesting. I like the way that looks. I also have an early swiss watch with applied 24 hours. They are stuck on like a decal.

posted
The watch is an Invicta and pictures were posted in the Wristwatch file on December 21, in case you want to take a look.

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Steve, Interesting! At least the red numbers didn't overwhelm the face of the watch like the on Illinois. They must have had a good reason for doing it.

Bill Carlson

posted
I wonder if the addition of a 13-24 hr secondary chapter as a decal on the crystal was not a reaction to wartime. The military uses 24-hour time. It would be a quick way to adapt a civilian 12-hour dial face for use in a military setting and would help those new draftees not familiar with 24-hr time.

posted
I think you are right. And then after the war the owner could just peal the decal off.

Steve G.

Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Here is a link to a 992B dial that someone scribed into the dial (not a decal) to understand military time. Notice that it is scribed 0200 thru 2400 in 2 hour increments. Obviously it ruined the dial. (Go to Pitfalls subject title "A strange dial of 992B").