WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Finished My 18 size23 jewel Bunn Special last night "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1614
posted
I finished up the restore of my 18 size 23 jewel Bunn Special last night and I'm pleased to say it is keeping excellent time right out of the blocks. I purchased this off ebay a couple of weeks ago and was waiting to find a suitable case before starting to work on it. I found a 4 oz. plain sterling silver case for it and so work began. As with so many ebay finds this one had a few "hidden" issues. As I disassembled the watch I found a dial washer under the balance cock, not a good start! I then found that the balance wheel had different serial numbers than the movement. Well when put together with out the washer, it of course bound up. I had to shorten the balance staff by .0025" by stoning the shaft to length. After that we had good motion. Fortunately I found no other Mickey Mouse fixes as I got into it. Disassembled and cleaned the entire unit, washing and pegging all bearing surfaces, lubed and put her into her new home. She' a beast, I'll need to wear suspenders when carrying this one! Let me know what you think, thanks for looking

Bill

IHC Member 1614
posted

Bill

IHC Member 1614
posted

Bill

IHC Member 1614
posted

Bill

posted
Nice save, these huge 18's make you wonder what the fellow looked like that carried a near half pound watch arround daily.

Gary

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
If you put that big lunker in a tube sock, you'd have a deadly weapon Eek

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Bill,

Nice job on this one. You've got some skills. Love the dial.

John III

IHC Member 1614
posted
Thanks for the comments guys. She has settled in and keeping time within 10 sec/day. One thing is for sure, you know when it's in your pocket!

Bill

posted
Nice Job - Cannot beat a high jewel 18s movement in a sterling/coin silver case...

posted
Great job on bringing this big boy back to life.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Carried in an overall pocket, the weight wasn't an issue for a railroader. He DID have 'suspenders' to hold these monsters up. Wink

I LOVE these huge things! Great carry watches!

Beautiful job, my friend!

Regards! Mark