Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

VERY RARE ILLINOIS 16 SIZE RAILROAD KING "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello to everybody,
I am a new member from Italy, and I am an avid collector of American Railroad Pocket watches.I wanted to share with you a great find in my opinion and to please have your expert opinion/comments about it.
It is an Illinois 16 size grade 116-S,16 jewels,hunter marked Railroad King serial number 1.049,500 dates year 1890.It is not mentioned in the Books and after lot of research here my findings:

1) grade 116-S was the first 16 size Railroad grade made by the Illinois watch co.

2) This might be the earliest 16 size known made by the Illinois watch co. with associated Railroad markings

3) It has been told that this dial marked "Illinois watch co. Special for Railway Service" while uncommon in 18 size it was unseen before in 16 size.I speculate this dial was made exclusively for this movement marked Railroad King and never made anymore( in 16 size) for any later movements

3) I could not figure out the total production but i believe to be very rare.In the Maggers book he noted seen one in the run 1,049,401-1,049,500.and this watch is the last one of the run.Unfortunately no serial number has been noted.Do you have any recorded one? what is your opinion?

4) Finally, the damaskeening is really beautifull.It resembles Railroad Tracks(my opinion of course).

I thank you for your comments and opinion

G.

posted

IHC Life Member
posted
Nice!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
What a beauty! Rare and looks to be original. Spectacular dial!

John III

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Beautiful railroad grade hunter Gabriele! Smile

Best Regards,

Ed