Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Some opinions on Illinois Central find please "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1824
posted
Just picked up this Illinois Central (s/n 3117907) for $50 as I really like Montgomery dials and thought would make a nice addition to my small collection of Illinois movements as I don’t have one with a Montgomery dial. It’s in a Keystone Silveroid case (not a I.C. case) in nice condition so intended to use it on another movement. There was no back ground available as was listed as one of those “estate” sales but did say it was “running but not timed” so was not expecting much. When I got it looked in far shape so I went ahead and wind her up to see what would happen and much to my surprise it ran spot on (at least to the minute as I did not do by the seconds) for the next 34 plus hours!

I am sure should do a COA as no history available and I assume has not been serviced in quite some time. Wanted to get some opinions here as I don’t see it listed in the fat book, only the 304 adjusted movements and have no idea of the value. Seems would make a nice carry watch but don’t know if grade 304 has any known history of the quality of the movement.

Sorry if posted wrong as I did see previous post in regards to Illinois Central but was from 2008 so thought might post a new one for some fresh thoughts.

Pix in next posts

Thanks,
Michael

IHC Member 1824
posted
Dial...

IHC Member 1824
posted
Movement....

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Michael,

The grade 304 is of medium quality. Your private label watch has the correct dial and, I would think, since it’s a Montgomery that adds a premium to the value which is found on page 280 of the 2013 addition of the “Guide.”

Here’s a link to more information: An Illinois Central

You got a good deal and the watch is a good one to carry everyday if you don't prefer a lever set.

RR

IHC Member 1824
posted
Thanks Richard, I see it now in the book. Was looking under “Illinois Central” did not think to look just under just Central.

Under the post in 2008 it shows a “double signed” 304, close to the s/n I have, with a possible value upwards of $300. The Fat book now has from $75 to $175 in “Mint” condition and I assume would be triple signed. I have only one year in this hobby so have no idea about price fluctuations of the past years but my assumption the book is closer to reality of today?

I have had it with me now for several days and it is keeping excellent time so regardless of market value I am very happy with it and it’s a keeper for me.

Thanks,

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Michael,

On page 243 of the Meggers & Ehrhardt Illinois Watch Co. Encyclopedia it gives a circa 1985 value of $75-100 for a Grade 304 Illinois Central, so you did alright at $50. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed