• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need some info on this Illinois...please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently purchased an Illinois, 17J, serial 4028673. The case is stamped Illinois Watch Case Co Elgin Tivoli Gold F 14K guarantee. I can't discover as much info on the Illinois like I could on the Elgin's and Waltham. I think it may be a 1906. That's all I know. It's on the way here. I got it at a good deal, so I could not resist, almost spontaneous. I will post a few pics also.

posted
And I would appreciate any info. I don't even know what size it is....Thank's
Stevan

posted
movement:

posted
case:

posted
It's got some wear but it looks clean and a hair line around the 20/30 second reading. I may have to replace the window and have it cleaned up. Don't know yet, but that's ok, If need be, I will send out in Texas.
Stevan

Picture of Brian C.
posted
quote:

Stevan,
Your watch should be a 12s, 17j, Mod.3, Of, sw/ss, adjusted, double roller, circa 1922. Hope this helps.
Brian C.

posted
Thank YOu Brian,
I'm new here and an amateur to pocket watches. I'm still learning so what does sw/ss mean? And I'm guessing Of is Office? The 1922 threw me because I looked up the serial number in the Illinois data base and saw where it indicated 1906 for that serial number. Thanks for the information.
Stevan

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Stevan,

sw/ss means it is stem wound and stem set as opposed to one that would have a lever under the dial and then would be called lever set. the Of here is referred to Open Face as opposed to a hunter cases that has a lid over the face.

Steve

posted
Thanks Steve,

I need to study up on this sort of stuff!

Stevan