Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New dial for Grandpas watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Thanks to Lindell pointing out to me in a phone conversation about a VERY rare dial on one of my 19 jewel Bunn 60 HOUR (a few post down "19 jewel Bunn 60 HOUR set) within two days later I came across a listing on ebay for a run of the mill 167 grade, Illinois, 17 jewel movement. I did a double take as it had what looked like the very same dial on it. I emailed Lindell a photo from the listing and he confirmed it however the pictures did not confirm the condition and the seller did not answer my questions. I paid way more than what the watch (without that dial) was worth and waited with baited breath for the arrival. It arrived yesterday and I was exstatic....It looked to be in nice condition. I removed it from the old watch (didn't run and didn't care) and put it into the dial cleaner. It cleaned up and was near perfect...no flaws that I could see anyway. So here it is on Grandpas watch, a 19 Jewel, 60 HOUR, Model I Bunn.

Lindell and I had discussed this watch as it belonged to my Grandfather, a railroader, and how it may have transformed into a Frankenwatch. A suspicion was drawn that my Grandfater may have wanted to bring it back up to a modern day look and had a newer arrows out dial installed as well as recased it into a very attractive Ball RR case. It may have gotten to the point of showing a lot of wear and age and needed to be brought up to the current day style. Who really knows for sure.

I had been pondering whether to leave it as my grandfather had left it or bring it back to the way he might have originally purchased it. I'm going for the latter. So the search is on for a case. Does anyone care to speculate what case this may have come in? Does anyone have a case this may have come in? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Steve,
This seems like a watch you are going to keep and pass down. I would keep it as your grandfather had it. If you keep changing things around, it really won't be his watch anymore.
Just my opinion.
Brian C.

posted
Agree completely with Brian.

posted
You're statement "one of my" speaks for itself. Display your Grandfathers watch as he carried it. Had I known then....