• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

14K Solid Gold Sangamo "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Recently purchased this from a local scrap gold buyer. Last year I made a deal with a scrap gold buyer, I commited to buying all the solid gold pocket watches for a premium over spot price, if they would let me see them before melting them down. On worn or uninteresting cases I pay a few percent over daily spot gold price.

Nothing real interesting until now...Got the call that they had a real heavy "Sangamo Special" in SOLID 14K! I went on my lunch hour, and was pleasantly surprised with a Green 14k rigid bow Sangamo Special. I paid an appropriate premium (I actually probably went a little high, as they were surprised by my offer.) As I left they said they would try to get more of them if I would be willing to pay the same premium over spot gold!

The only minor problems with the watch is the"Gold Test" marks left by the gold buyers, a little frustrating. They explained they must test all gold with a file and acid. I tried to coach them to not "cut" the cases, but I don't think it did any good.

here are the images:

Best Regards,
Sean

posted
inside back 1236505 number (Unfortunately, a small "Gold Test" groove was cut into the case edge -Right side of image)

posted
cuvette

posted
inside cuvette, and another "Gold Test" scrape on the cuvette - Right side of image.

posted
4720085 movement

posted
back of case

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Sean,

I’m glad you were able to save this watch from the scrapper. The watch guide is showing your watch as a **** four star. The condition looks up there too. I’m curious as to approximately how much the case weighs? It’s interesting the watch you have is the first unmarked 60-Hour solid 14K gold example to show up for the database between the years of 1926 to 1930. Congratulations on a great find.

RR

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Because of the rarity and the STORY. The file mark will not hurt the case at all.

Excellent find. 1 of always trump condition.

posted
Thanks for the replies!

The case alone weighs about 51.7 grams (I did leave the crown/stem installed).

the Gold Buyer math goes like this: 51.7 Grams of 14K (14k =.5833 pure gold content, but the jewelers always use .585)means, .585 X 51.7 = 30.24 grams of pure gold. Then we convert Troy Oz.to grams, 1 troy Oz.=31.1034 grams So...30.24 / 31.1034 = .9723 Troy Oz. of Gold in the Case.

If gold spot is $1750.00 per Troy Oz. then, .9723 X 1750 = $1701.67 worth of Gold Scrap in the 14k Sangamo Special Case.

I offered a few hundred dollar markup premium for the complete watch and got it!

Keep in mind the scrap dealer will never get 100% of the gold in scrap, as it is always discounted some percent (3 to 5% is common). I try to avoid pricing the movements alone as I only pay a premium for "Complete Watches". Just movements alone are heavily discounted as they are only part of a pocketwatch. I pay $5-$30 dollars for movements from the scrap guys...

See attached images

Thanks,
Sean

posted
Here is the complete watch on the scale.

posted
Here is just the movement

posted
And for reference a White Gold Filled Sangamo Special

IHC Life Member
posted
quote:
I pay $5-$30 dollars for movements from the scrap guys...

Sean,
Send all those movements out west. Patrick and I will split them up. Maybe let us build our war chests to step up to complete watches some day Wink

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
To acid test such a beautiful case that is clearly hallmarked has to be a monumental act of vandalism!

Someone ought to take a file to whoever did this!Mad

Best Regards,

Ed

posted
I totally agree!! They just like to cut deeply enough to make sure it really is "Solid Gold". They explained if the case is marked both 14k and .585 they would not file.

However, they have been confused/burned by the so called "Warranteed 14K" marks that imply solid Gold, but are really Gold Filled cases. So any cases that are questionable with a mark or they are not familiar with get the file and acid test.

Sean