Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Birmingham Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1324
posted
I was looking for information on the Birmingham Special by the Illinois Watch Co. I was hoping someone might have some information about it.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Richard

If you could post the serial number of the movement we might could tell you more, & better yet we love photos.

The Birmingham Special is considered a private label watch, made by contract probably for a jeweler.

In Meggers gold book, American Pocket Watches, he listed two Birmingham Specials, a 12 size made around 1928 it was a model 3 Illinois. He also lists a 16 size Illinois 21 jewel 3 adj. with a marked dial model 9.

Tom

IHC Member 1324
posted
Thank you. I am repairing at the moment and will get pictures and serial up tomorrow.

IHC Member 1324
posted
The Birmingham Special that I have is serial number 4310467. It is a 17 jewel double roller. Markings on the movement is Birmingham Special Illinois Watch Co. Springfield.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Your Birmingham Special is a 16s 17J open face pendent set model 7 grade 305 made in 1923, there were a total of 148,090 made of that grade. Not all Birmingham's.

Tom

IHC Member 1324
posted
Tom:

Thank you so much. I am so empressed with this site.

Richard

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Richard!

You have a really interesting watch there. At first I confused it with the Burlington Special watches which are far more common.

For the record, please share the case information.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Welcome Richard, your Birmingham Special is really a nice looking watch....we hope to see others that you may have....

By the way, do you have any photos of the dial of this one...?

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Member 1324
posted
The case says Star Watch Case Company
sn 6811674