• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Electric Railroad Standard questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Is the Illinois Electric Railroad Standard considered a Private Label, or what?

There is a Elec RR Standard dial on my Model 9 Grade 706 sn 4456293. The movement is not marked for Elec RR Std so I suspect the dial is a transplant. Were the movements so marked?

The movement is accurately described in the Illinois Encyclopedia p140 lower right. However I have not been able to find any info about the Elec RR Std in what Lindell accurately describes as a confusing book.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Mott
member #795

Steve Mott

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Steve,
Your watch could be correct--dial and movement. I have three electric railroad standard watches in my collection. I have been told by Illinois watch experts that only the getty models are marked on the dial and the movement.
Tony Smile

posted
Tony,
Thanks for the encouraging words.

Steve Mott

posted
New question: since this 19j, ca. 1923 watch is adjusted to only 3 positions and the requirement from 1920 onwards was to be adjusted for 5 positions--should I not consider this example as RRG?

Steve Mott

posted
Tony,
Thanks for your help and you are correct. I have just found the watch listed in Ehrhardt & Meggers book "Railroad Watches" p82. The Elec RR Std dial does belong on a Grade 706 movement.

Since it is listed in this book on RR watches I shall consider it as such although it did not satisfy RR time service requirements when it was built.

Now I need to research where it was marketed. Any ideas anyone?

Steve Mott

Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi it took me awhile to dig through all my watches but i have a illinois electric railroad standard.i dont know if the dial came with this watch but its now on a sixty hour bunn special s.n. 5060068 in my book thats a 1927 the year before they sold to hamilton.it is housed in a stiff bow white gold filled case that has R.R. marked inside it.

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Steve,
The Illinois Electric Railroad Standard watches were popular on street and interurban rialways. They were not railroad approved because they were not adjusted to 5 positions.
Tony