Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Using the K&D Mainspring Winder "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Please let me know if you have problems viewing this. We are trying to support as many platforms and browsers as possible. If you experience problems viewing this presentation, please post a reply or email me with the particulars.

Like many of you, I connect to the internet via dial-up so please be patient as the slideshow loads.

K&D Winder Tutorial

John D. Duvall
Proud IHC Member 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Absolutely Amazing!

IHC 185... "We Are Limited Only By Our Imagination"

Thanks a million John!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
John,
What a great job! Big Grin

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Wonderful John!

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I learned something. Namely, to back out the arbor and reset the collar before plunging the spring into the barrel. I haven't done that and wondered why the t-ends of my mainsprings always seem to spin out of the hole in the barrel. I seldom used my 128 because I thought it didn't work properly. Now I know, it was operator error!!!

In using a 126 (robbins type) this isn't an issue since you have to remove the arbor to put the barrel over the spring. You have made the 128 a useful tool for me! Thank you again!

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Fantastic John!!! Thanks!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Lindell, Wayne, Ed, John, Mike & Tom. Thank you for your kind and generous comments.

I take comfort with the overwhelming encouragement and support received from so many members and guests. Chapter 185 is only six months young and look how far we've come. I'm looking forward to the next six months and beyond with excited optimism.

Again, thank you all for your support!

John D. Duvall
IHC Happy Camper 192
IHC185 Watch Repair Moderator

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
John,
A lesson that tells it all. Worth making a wall poster out of for those times when we mysteriously forget our lessons and
things start flying around the room.
Look forward to seeing more of your educational presentations.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Thanks for another great "Helping Hand" tutorial

Frank Juchniewicz

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
John, what a fantastic job. I think the slide show idea is the best one I've seen in years. Even though I've been using mainspring winders for years, I really enjoyed this presentation.
Keep up the great work
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@webtv.net

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks John!...excellent presentation...found I had not been using my K&D spring winder to it's best advantage...kudos to you...sincerely, Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Apparently, I received an extra collar with my winding arbors and the only use I could find for it was to secure the handle in both directions. Also, my arbors have handles that are a little longer than previous versions. Anyway, the use of two collars will help prevent damaging the mainspring while winding. It is also important to use the correct diameter winding arbor so that the inner coil of the mainspring is not damaged. I'm happy the tutorial helped!

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks John!
I just received this K&D 128 in some tools I bought. This tutorial is exactly what I was looking for. Good Job!! I haven't studied the sizes yet, but I assume you can wind any spring from a small wristwatch to a pocket watch?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Dave,

Thanks! Wow it's been years since I touched a watch but I believe you can use it for at least 0 size and up.

Regards,

John D.

posted
John,
Great to see you posting here again. Thanks for all you did in the helping hands tutorials as they have helped me tremendously.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I 2nd Ray's statement!
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yes sir! Some of the best information on the net for new guys learning the watch business.
Dave

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Problem using the K&D mainspring winder
I'm using K&D Winder as described in John Duval's tutorial, and everything works slick until I try to transfer the spring from the winder barrel to the mainspring barrel.
According to the instruction I should be able to push the spring into the barrel with my fingers. This is not working for me. In fact I can't move the spring even with a lot of pressure.
Wonder what I'm doing wrong, or if my winder barrel is defective.
Anybody ever run into this problem?

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
2nd picture

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dave,
Are you using the other half of the winder tool do you have a photo of your set, there normally is a tube about 3” long and a knob on the end that presses the center of yours out.
Also is your mainspring and tool clean? Sometime lightly lube the wall of the tool prior.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks for the help Chris,
I think my set is complete but I'm not sure about the tube you refer to.
I've inspected everything to be sure it's clean and moving free and easy.
Here's a picture:

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I dont have this set to be able to photo it in use, maybe someone else can post a photo??
if I remeber correctly the loaded, "spring loader" should be still in the machine locked in with knurled knob into the locating hole and you should press/slide the crank to force out spring.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I have this winder tool (not nearly as pretty). Like Chris said I keep the "spring barrel" (one transferring from) in the tool base. Then I gently take out the winding arbor and slide the back of the spring barrel forward with the mainspring barrel in front. HOLD THESE TOGETHER unless you want to see how messed up a mainspring can get. The base holds the collar of the spring barrel in place allowing you to slide the mainspring into the mainspring barrel. You are not really pressing it in so much as sliding the entire unit forward. I have noticed this happen in any arrangement in which the spring barrel bottoms out inside the mainspring barrel. The reason it is not working for you is that you are basically squeezing mainspring barrel and spring barrel together and not extracting / sliding the mainspring from the spring barrel into the mainspring barrel. The hardest part for me when doing this (since the spring barrel is much smaller than the mainspring barrel is that the mainspring tends to uncoil a turn inside the mainspring I have to try different things to get it set correctly.

I have had one type of spring go in easier than others and that is because the bottom of the spring barrel bottomed out on the inner lip of the mainspring barrel (where the barrel cap would seat flush, so the spring barrel is just inside the mainspring barrel). In that case I could push on the back of the spring barrel with my thumb and use pressure with my index finger and the mainspring transfers smoothly into the mainspring barrel. In this case I was squeezing the two pieces together rather than sliding them. It usually worked better in aligning the mainspring tab to the slot as well.

Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011