Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Canon 5:1 macro lens "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hi. I just got this new lens and I thought I would share some of my first test images here. The lens: Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5x Macro. The camera: Canon Rebel XTi 10.1 MP.

Here's an American 0 size balance shot at at 2:1 or 2X. This image was not cropped, only reduced to smaller pixel dimensions. As you can see, the subject completely fills the camera's 10.1 MP aps-c size sensor at 2:1.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
A Swiss pallet fork at 1:1

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
A Swiss pallet fork at 2:1

IHC Life Member
posted
A Swiss pallet fork at 3:1

IHC Life Member
posted
A Swiss pallet fork at 4:1

IHC Life Member
posted
A Swiss pallet fork at 5:1

posted
It's a great lens (I have one) but most find it tricky to use. I can pass on my experience with it (in micro mineral photography) if you are interested. One thing I learned is that it can be a big mistake to stop it down. When you do, diffraction will really degrade resolution. For a while I thought I had gotten a bad copy of the lens. If you decide you want more depth of field, use focus stacking and stop down only to f/4 or f/5.6.

Posts: 61 | Location: Tucson, Arizona in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom,

Thanks for your reply. The above shots were taken at f8 which is as far as I wanted to go for the reason you mentioned. f11 and beyond would be out of the question for this lens in my opinion. We just acquired Adobe CS6 and I understand that photoshop now supports focus stacking with layers. I'm hoping to have some time to sit dowm and figure it out soon. I feel that the build quality of this lens is superb and once I am able to unlock it's full optical potential, I'll share the results here.

William

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Great snaps William. I am interested in learning more about your lens and camera and lighting set up.

I can't get anywhere near this clarity or depth of field with my Canon Powershot even on Superm Macro mode.

John

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005