WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A new Camera it don't even need lights to do macro "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I just bought a new camera. I've had it for 10 minutes. It does not need extra lighting at all. The photos are straight from the camera no cropping, No photo cube box. nothing. And ohh so reasonable.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is one of the 163 Illinois dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
More

IHC Life Member
posted
I did crop this one. No other lights than what is mounted on the camera.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is one of the crown.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Very nice!! What kind of camera is it? Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
I agree, let's hear all the details!

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
It is a Pentax Optio WG-1 Right at $250 to $300. It has 6 lights that light up when you are in Macro setting. It is even water proof to 32 feet. I have been procrastinating for about 4 months. and been using my Iphone for photos. I went to my local Camera shop with my old camera and they pronounced it dead unless I wanted to send it back to Kodak. When he showed me the quality with out any lights at all I was hooked.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I really like the examples and will check into one but first I am going to let you figure out if it is a battery hog. Running 6 lights and the rest of the circuitry it has to use some juice. Does it come with any software or a wall charger and can it be computer controlled for settings and shooting? Are they AA's or a dedicated battery?
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Heres a link to one at Amazon that is listed for $197. I like Amazon because you can always read about what other people think of the product before buying.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
There are 5 led lights on the front of the camera. That are only used for the macro setting. It comes with a rechargeable battery pack that can be changed out. I'm sure if you searched online you could answer all your own questions.

I really don't want a camera that I have to take a computer class and a photography class to operate.

As I understand there are some people that are very computer smart I'm not him.

IHC Member 1338
posted
Looks pretty good, Eugene. Nice closeup of the crown, you can really see the detail.

I did learn early on not to get caught up in all the megapixel hype. Even if it had a billion megapixel the only thing that matters is what the photos turn out like. My trusty Fuji has served me well for over 10 years, and contunues to this day. (not the same one of course, but same model)
I won't own any camera for pro use w/o a manual focus ring. This feature has proven invaluable to me. This one looks like a great camera to throw in the glove box for outdoor shots, and it looks pretty durable. also pretty affordable. Good choice.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Looked it up on line and Yup, its a good unit. People like it and for $197.00 It's also a good deal. Takes great pictures and as soon as my Panasonic Lumix-z25 Quits I will check on getting one.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Very nice pictures but not all can afford cameras in this price range. I would like to share what can be done with a now discontinued Sony Mavica Model FD 73 favored by some of the bigtime watch sellers and jewelers. Watch in one hand,camera in the other hand, northern natural light.An eBay search for this camera now will turn up 20 units under $50.00.

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Eugene, your camera does take great photos. I have a Sony DSC-W5 and was not happy with it. I read this thread about the Nikon Coolpix 880;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6029761/m/8231038532

Picked one up on ebay with Charger, 2 batteries, 2 cards and lens adapter for $40.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
I was just tired of posting photos with cell phone.
So I took my $400. dollar camera to the camera shop. And they said they would send it off for repair. Then they showed me what the camera above could do. For $300. It is hard to find a good Fish scale Bunn special for that $300.

So I said what the heck. I have never been into electronics.

I commend you on your savvy purchase of just as good if not better as my camera.

posted
Hi Eugene;

Although I have two high end Sony cameras, I too used to use my iPhone quite a bit to take photos. I just like the point and shoot aspect. Anyway, a couple of days ago I bought an iPhone 4S and WOW!! what a huge difference in the photos.

It has a five lens camera, and eight megapixels with steady shot. I couldn't believe my eyes. I'll be using this iPhone 4S a lot more these days.

Bye the way, your photos look great.

Bud

quote:
and been using my Iphone for photos

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
This question is for Eugene Buffard.
I actually bought this camera and I am pleased with the microscopic mode. However I can't get the 5 lights to work in closeup mode! Is it possible?
How did you take the full dial picture(later cropped) shown above.
Thanks for any advice you may have.

JOHNHPINTO

Posts: 38 | Location: Quebec in Canada | Registered: December 29, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hello John The 5 lights on the camera will not come on in normal mode. I do have a homemade cube that is made out of $4.00 worth of foam board. And has a light above. Then took the photo of the dial from about 10 inches away . Then cropped the photo. If you get to close to the dial in normal mode the camera will not be able to self adjust.

There is enough megapixels to let you crop down real far. If I can help you in away please don't hesitate to contact me. genebuff@charter.net or 618-580-7525

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Very impressive camera Gene. Smile

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
I re-looked at the photos. NO OTHER LIGHTS Don't remember how. And I have not tried to recreate this shoot Yet maybe in a couple weeks. I'm to busy right now.