• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My $.02 worth - Nikon Coolpix 4500 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have been reading with great interest all the posts about camera selection and use because I had been trying to come to a decision on a new camera. Thanks one and all for your input and comments, it has been extremely helpful.

Below is a response to an email I sent to someone who seemed knowledgeable on one of the camera boards:

Hi, Bruce. Either the 995 or the 4500 would serve you well for this type of photography. The Nikon Coolpix swivel series (cp900, 950, 990,995,4500) is optimized for macros, and is generally conceded as the best the digital world can offer for this niche. The 995 and 4500 employ the same lens system, so there is little to choose from. I prefer the 995 because it has a larger lcd (1.8" vs. 1.5"), but the 4500 has a 4MP sensor vs 3MP for the 995. For uses other than macros, the 4500 is much simplier to use, as it has [scenes selections] in its menus, which are pre-sets optimized for various types of shots (portraits, landscapes, party shots, etc.). The other advantage is that you may still be able to find a brand new 4500, and with the $200 rebate, it is a true bargain.
This is just my opinion, and I hope it helps.
Regards, Frank

There are very few new 4500s left in the system but I was able to find one at BJ’s Wholesale for $599. ($400 with the rebate). Understanding how to use the menus is going to take some work, heck it took me 20 minutes just to set the date and time. After that, I got brave enough to try a close up of a movement …the results were truly astounding! Apparently the comment above “optimized for macros” really means something.

Maybe it was only beginners luck but I am hoping that I just found an easy way to get great close ups like some of you masters of the game have been making.

I don’t know if my limited experience is helpful to anyone but for me it is very positive step forward.

Bruce

Posts: 55 | Location: Sun City, Arizona & Westfield, Massachusetts USA | Registered: February 06, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Bruce,

Fabulous image of the pallet jewels! They positively glow in your remarkable picture.

That series of Nikon Cameras of which you speak are unsurpassed. You absolutely STOLE one of the greatest cameras made at a mere fraction of its value. One important point you also mentioned was the size of the far larger LCD Screen on the earlier models. For example, by comparison the screen is positively HUGE on the 950 and 990 models. They also run on "AA" batteries, and for me that's a big plus. My daughter's Game Boy and its lights run on the very same inexpensive rechargeables.

As I've mentioned before, the Nikon 950 Cameras I'm using are extremely flexible. That picture you took "crawling into the watch movement" is more than sufficient proof of what we Nikon zealots preach every chance we have. The electronics of the camera and basic capability of processing may be every bit as good on others. However the ability to flex the camera, stay out of the light and avoid unwanted reflections make this basic design the one of first choice.

My good friend Rich Kuhn recently bought a Casio which is very similar to the Nikon and the price was very low. It also uses the same low priced rechargeable "AA" Batteries. If you're shopping that particular Casio model is worth checking out.

It is hard to explain this point, you have to experience the flexibility...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
It was a bit of a luck shot just taken on a windowsill in daylight, but this newbie feels ten feet tall right about now!

Thanks for the compliments.

...and yes, the flexibility that lets you get out of your own light is significant.

Bruce

Posts: 55 | Location: Sun City, Arizona & Westfield, Massachusetts USA | Registered: February 06, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Bruce,

The Nikon 4500 is still the choice for my 950 replacement. Please keep us updated on the pro's and con's you find with this camera.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003