Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Got my camera, now I need... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
EVERYTHING ELSE!!!! HELP!!!!

OK, where do I start?
I just purchased a Kodak DX4530 and also purchased the 2 extra lenses for close-ups, one is a +7 and the other is a +10 for a total of +17 in lenses. Whatever that means. (17x's)?
I have looked at the manual online, and I get the camera tomorrow, (make that today) according to UPS tracking.

What would you say is the first and most important thing to know when I start to try it out? .......
and..
This may seem foolish to some, but what kind of background should I use for the watches, while trying to learn how to use my new camera?

I have a million questions, and have no idea where to start. So, some hints for a first timer would be great.

Thank you

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello From Across The Pond, Like you I bought a digital camera, without knowing anything about them. Mine has far far too many functions , I just want to be able to take pic's and download them either to print or straight to PC. My best advice to you is to READ THE MANUAL first.I know thats the boring way but some of it might sink in. Good Luck. Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Hi Ged,
Yep, I went online and already started to read the manual they have on there for my camera.
I figured it was the best place to start.
I sure could use some information on what to put behind the watches though. I thought that white would give me some trouble, but I have no idea if it would or not. I'm not even good with a regular camera, so who knows what this one will do to me. lol
I guess I will just have to try it out and see what happens.
Thank you for the post. Good luck to you too!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Sheila,

Don't forget to Google the web for others who have the same camera as yours. There are many message boards around, you just have to search and find them. Also, many community colleges have digital camera courses.

Good luck and congratulations on your new camera!!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Hey John,
I have read the online manual, well, most of it, and I sure hope I can use it before Christmas lol
That's a pretty good idea, about the course, but I can't leave my hubby that much, so that one is out, I think that the searching the boards is a good one. I went to one a long time ago and it had the most gorgeous pictures I had ever seen. I have no idea where it is though. Darn I hate it when that happens. I'm sure there are plenty out there though.
I did notice that Kodak has a message board and a chat room for help, and lots more too, so I think I may go back there and check them out.
Thank you for the post!
Bless,

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Sheila,

Here is a great website dedicated to digital cameras: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I've had it bookmarked for years!

We are holding our breath for your first pictures. Kind of like NASA's latest missions to Mars and Saturn? Smile

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John D,
Wow, what a great message board. Nice!
I will use that one for sure.
Now you are making me nervous! I got my camera yesterday late, and I think it will be a while before I will be able to post pictures or to use it.
I have got the time and date in it !!! lol
I have it charging now, and am still re-reading the book a hundred times, but you know how that goes. I get half way through the page, then I have to go to page 51, then back, then another. I will be chewing on the book by the time I am ready to actually take a picture.
I am quite sure my first pictures will be a mess, but with practice I may have some ready by Monday.
I will post them when I get to that point.
I didn't get the lenses yet. Hopefully today though. The printer is all set up just waiting for the batteries to charge, and for me to take some pictures. It's pretty bad when your first pictures are of Watches, and not your family. Too bad, I'm hooked, so they will just have to wait.
I will probably take some of my wristwatches first. I actually have more of them then the Pocket Watches. All of my Pocket Watches are pretty bad. I just started looking for Pocket Watches to collect.
My Pansy's are the only ones I really love, besides the one that Tom gave me. That one makes me smile all the time. I get such a kick out of it. Upsidedown and all! lolol

I gotta quit now and go make the people on the other board crazy with my questions now.
Can you tell I'm excited!! talk, talk, talk.

Will post when I get a picture.

Sheila