Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Batteries for digital camera "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Someone mentioned I may want to purchase a digital camera that uses rechargeable batteries.

What kind of batteries does your digital camera use? What's your opinion on batteries for digital? Confused The answer may hold weight with regard to my choice. Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Stephanie,

I think you'll find all digital cameras are battery powered. The point is what types of batteries and what is the cost? My choice and what I recommend is to have a camera that operates on low-cost and available anywhere "AA" Batteries. As I mentioned recently my cameras and my daughters illuminated "Game-Boy" run on four "AA" rechargeable batteries. The rechargeables are about twelve dollars for four and can be recharged a thousand times. Each recharge is several hundred pictures or a week of games. Batteries also come into play in your decision to use a camera-powered cable to down-load images to your computer or use a Card-Reader.

Consider this... even though most digital cameras can be operated on rechargeable batteries, check on cost and availability. If the non-rechargeable version is expensive or uncommon, you may want to reject that one. Ask how much an extra rechargeable or two costs. You may be shocked at the answer. With the inexpensive and readily available "AA" Batteries you'll never be without power. Gas Stations, Convenience Stores, practically any retailer has those "AA" Batteries. Even in a prolonged power outage or a journey far from home you'll find them readily available at very low cost. You are not restricted to rechargeables or to having to pay outrageous prices.

I say, keep it simple, flexible and inexpensive... buy a camera that uses "AA" Batteries and you'll not regret your decision.

That's my opinion, what do others say?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Normal Alkaline AA batteries have a very short life span in digital cameras. This is due to the current draw characteristics of the camera. The life span depends on the amount of time the display is used. Some cameras have a timer that shuts the camera down after a minute or so to conserve battery power. You will find alkaline batteries only to be suitable in a pinch.
Modern rechargable batteries of the Nickel-Metal Hydride type are designed better cope with the demands of computers, cameras, etc. The output of these batteries is affected by ambient temperatures. (When ice fishing, I keep the batteries in my pants pocket till I am ready to use the camera)
My best advise is to keep a few sets of these modern batteries (charged) in your camera case. Consider buying a charger with an internal timer. The timer shuts down the charging after a set period. Overcharging can shorten the lifespan of the battery.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Stephanie,

I can speak only to Nikon but if you choose to purchase one of their latest cameras such as the 4500 , you do not have the option of AA batteries. They now use a single battery that has a significant increase in battery time. You can buy a spare and have enough energy to do a full day's shooting and more. If that isn't suitable, they sell small rechargeable packs that plug into the DC socket (AC adapter socket) of the camera. This will probably last you for a week's worth of shooting or more.

Also consider loading (and carrying) one battery versus four. I've used AA nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries for my Nikon 900 and 950 cameras since 1998. They have served their purpose well but I will not let the battery type be the determining factor of my next Nikon purchase.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003