Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Goin Crazy.. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
My old camera would not work, I buy a new one. I try to load the program, my laptop won't take it because it's has Windows 2000 with NT. My NEW computer has changed everything and I have no idea what it did.
I put the Kodak program on the new computer, takes the pictures into the program FINE.
Try to post them, NO DEAL. I go to the site Kodak says to use for posting pictures in albums online, go through the entire process, and THEN find out, others only have access if they join and there is no online viewing any other way.

I am about to go crazy. Will I EVER get my pictures up?

Now my laptop is saving everything I try to save wrong, and nothing wants to come up right anymore.

I have 199 pictures just in the "my pictures" file, and nothing can read them. Even my AOL homepage won't take it.

I hate computers and most of all MICROSOFT.
They automatically do new updates and it has messed up my cocmputers so bad that they won't work. YOU CAN'T TAKE IT OUT EITHER!

I just had to vent. I have been trying to get my pictures up for so long that I am ready to go nuts.

THE ONLY THING I CAN DO IS SCAN SOMETHING AND IF I KNEW HOW TO CROP IT I COULD POST. BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THAT EITHER.
I tried to post a copy of my 1869 Elgin and it was so big I had to delete it.

Does anyone have THIS MUCH trouble doing pictures or is it me?

Can someone tell me how to make a scanned picture the size I want, and to take OUT the entire page except the small movement part that I want to show?

HELP PLEASE!!!!
Thank you for listening.

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Sheila,I too have a Kodak with the "Easy Share" feature.I find the only way I can size a shot to post it is to e-mail it to myself,"save as"a file,then I can post it here.If there is a way to re-size a shot using "easy share",I can't find even using the search function.I now have the Dell Image expert program,but haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.My wife says that it is far better than the kodak product.If I hadn't gotten the camera(DX6340) free with a computer,I would have gotten a different brand.I have bought the 7X and 10X close up lenses for it and will be buying the 2X telephoto and adapter(must have to use different lenses with the camera)soon. Because of the built in flash,you almost always get"red eye" with head on shots,but I imagine that is true for all on-camera flash units.

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Sheila,
I think this will do the job: download Irfanview, a free image viewer and editor, small and easy to use, click here.You don't need to download the Plugins for basic editing.

Install it and open your picture. To crop a picture, select the area draging with the mouse while left clicking, then go to the EDIT menu and select Crop.
To resize go to the IMAGE menu and select Resizing/Resample, type "680" in the window with the larger number (that wil fit nicely in the posts).
If you want to edit the color content, go to Enhance Color option in the same IMAGE menu. When the image is ready, go to the FILE menu to Save where you want.
As I said it is easy to use and after a few tries you will be able to have a nice picture. Play with it some time, it has several niceties, hassle free.

Regards

Carlos Flores

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Sam, you will love using the lenses on your kodak camera, you will see a huge difference and a lot less problems too. I had used mine without the lenses before I got them, and then after, and WOW a huge difference. Mine is a DX4530 just a step over yours, and yours was one of the two they suggested when I wrote to them. In many of the sites I have been to, many really like these cameras, it's about learning them, that makes the difference. I also noticed that although they Loved their cameras, lots of them used their photo program of choice. Live and learn. I plan to get the other lenses too, as soon as I can get the pictures up and online. I am going to use a different program for the photos, and thank you so much or the e-mail information, I will try it today.

Carlos, I did go to that site way back when you mentioned it before and had problems with it.
I downloaded it and had to give up.
I'm sure it's my computer though. The crop resizing information is fantastic, I will try that today too. I will go to the site and do another try.

Today my computer is beeping, I have no Idea why, it's just beeping constantly. A low beep, about every 15 seconds or so.
I think it hates me.

Thank you for the information, I am lifted up again, to fight the "Picture Dragon".
Bless,

Sheila

posted
Thanks Carlos for the link.I have tried the resizing and it works well.I hope to post some pictures tonight.
Thanks again my freind. Smile Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
For anyone who has Windows XP or 2000 and MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) loaded, there is a program included that is called "Microsoft Photo Editor". It works well to resize, crop and edit your digital photos.

To see what default program is being used (in Windows 2000 or XP) or to change it, click on

1. "My Computer"
2. Select "Tools".
3. Click on "Folder Options"
4. Click on "File Types"
5. Scroll down until you find JPG, JPEG or JPE.
Note: Always annotate what is currently being used so you can change it back.
6. Click on "Change"
7. Choose "Microsoft Photo Editor" or other editing program that you wish to use and click on okay.

Now when you click on any .jpg, .jpe or .jpeg file, it will open the program you chose in step 7.
It is handy to know this procedure in case you load a program that takes these settings over and you wish to return to your old default program.

The above is for Windows 2000 users. I'm not sure about XP until I verify it at home with my personal computer. I will post any changes here if it's different.

UPDATE: I just used the above procedures on XP. I changed the Windows default program to my favorite picture editing software to load files with extension "JPE". Many of the photo's I copy from eBay to my desktop to enhance have this extension. Previously, I had to change the extension to .jpg to get my favorite viewer to load, otherwise, the worthless, Windows XP "Windows Picture and Fax" program would load the file.

Thanks for starting this topic Sheila!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Well, at least I can post a scan!
HORAY!!!
This is my 1869 Elgin movement. I will try to post the back too.

Sheila

New Elgin 1869

posted
I cropped it! I resized it! I am KING/Queen!!! LOLOL

Can you believe this!

You are ALL ANGELS! I feel much better now.

On to the other ones. My pictures are on the other computer, hope I can do things there that I did here. Pray, Pray, Pray!

Will take these off of here after I look at them a few times.

This was a test of the "Sheila for Sanity" Foundation, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheila

posted
Making bigger, not very good though.

My W. H. Ferry 1869 Elgin. He was a Chicago Investor and was the director of Elgin from 1868-1874 He died in 1880.

Sheila

posted
Carlos,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
I installed it, and it works GREAT!
So Easy too! Your a GEM.

John,
Your welcome, but your the one with a great post here. I can't use it, I only have works and have no Photo Editor, but I'm sure everyone that reads this will just LOVE IT.
You give such easy instructions.

All in all, some real good help here for sure!

Bless,

Sheila

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Queen Sheila (aren't you?),
Congratulations on overcome Bill´s nigthmares.
Below is a panorama composition of your previous pictures, higher contrast, color shifthed to red, sharpened, let you investigate how do these tricks...
and now you can go to sleep.. Cool

Queen Sheila's

posted
Hope this works Carlos and Sheila, if not i will be asking more questions.
I just checked size 168 kbs, is this too big?

waltham

IHC Life Member
posted
Kevin,

Here is your picture again compressed to about 24K. For our dial-up friends, it would be a great help if we could keep the file size to 80k or below. Contained within each jpeg picture from your camera are many non-essential bytes of information related to the picutre. Depending upon how much you compress the photo, many of these items are removed, making the file size smaller. However, too much compression can cause pixelation and artifacts. Also, if you increase the picture size of a compressed photo, you will see pixelation.

Carlos,

Does your editing program have a "save as" or sliding bar feature that will allow jpeg compression? For simple compression, I use "Image Expert" which came with my Epson printer. It's much easier and faster than PhotoShop 6.0. For those of you who want to take digital photography to the next level, I highly recommend "PhotoShop Elements". It's a stripped down version of PhotoShop but all of the most popular features are there. It sells for about $99.00 USD

Sheila,

You're doing great!! Keep up the great work. Your multi-national digital task force is behind you!

posted
I don,t see how to compress further withe the program that Carlos has posted the link to.
I have found some software which is the unregistered software version.It is from xat.com and is called jpeg optimizer.
This is super easy to use and will compress as far as you want to go.
Here is a image compressed down to 20 something kbs.

test

IHC Life Member
posted
Way to go Kevin!! You got the idea. Now you can experiment on how much or how little you want to compress. Just remember to save your original photo, uncompressed.

posted
Well, The HERD (brothers, sisters, friends, the world) have left, as of this morning!!!

Now I can get down to some serious brainstorming on my camera info.

I've been to the Kodak site, and found a lot of things that are not listed in the manual, and will probably be able to do a lot of things that I couldn't do before. Why they leave this stuff out is a mystery to me. It sure would save a lot of heartache if they just made the manual bigger. Not a good PR thing to do.

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin,
My eyes popped out on that one. I love that case! Gorgeous! Great picture too!

John,
Thank you for the info. on the program, I may get that one. I used to have Photoshop and it was easy, but have not used it in years. That may do the trick.
For now, the one Carlos gave is doing great, I can actually use it!
I need 2 programs anyway, my computers act differently, and this will help a lot. At least that way, I can post pictures on either computer.

Carlos, WOW, using the other features does really make a difference. I think just playing around with it, is what this is all about.

Sam, One of the things that I found out is that when you "name a picture" if you don't put (.jpg) after the name, if won't download.
I had to find this out by reading the post about getting pictures on ebay. I figured if you can get them on there then they can get on the net. So I read it, and a link from there, about creating files and folders, gave me the hint about being able to link to things like the net.
If your pictures have a name, and no .jpg after it, you will not be able to link it on here. Try the .jpg and it may work. I have not tried it yet, I'm making up folders now for my pictures. Last, read about the folders and files, it's good, and I think it will help a lot. Good Luck!

The links: Remember the info is only a footnote where you find the "Rename Files and Folders" half way down the page. Read all of it though.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/training/pcb1_chapter04.jhtml?id=0.2.32.80.28&lc=en

This one is how to post on ebay, and will show you how to get a picture on the net. May help.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/training/pcb1_chapter11.jhtml?id=0.2.32.80.42&lc=en

I think they may help, let us know!

Sheila

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Trying Carlos program to down size pictures

Elgin

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Ted, Great Picture! What happened to the last one? Mine worked GREAT with that program, make sure you use the instructions he mentioned. They are pretty easy.
Good Luck!

Sheila

posted
Hi Sheila, Still trying lets see if this 1830 pair case fusee comes over

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Sheila, Looks like i'm getting there. TED

posted
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WOW, VERY NICE!
Your getting there!!!
Very nice watch!!!!
I just posted too. Got my 1st from my Kodak!
Not real good but at least it's a start.
It's on a new post in here.
Good to see us winning though huh?
Horay for us!!!!!!

Sheila

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Ted,
This is your picture tweaked with ENHANCE IMAGE of the IMAGE menu. For you to try: lowered the Blue Color balance and increase the Gamma Correction.
and as Sheila said: Hoooray!

Ted´s fusee