Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Filters "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Has anyone tried any of the filters (UV/etc) when taking photographs of pocket watches? It appears to reduce the glare of sunlight/florescent lights on dials and highly polished cases, but was wondering if anyone else had any experience is using them. Thanks

UV Filter

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wayne, I tried using one, it was really hard for my camera to focus good. Wink

Mike Nardick
NAWCC # 144409
IHC 185 Charter Member 26
Allegheny Chapter 37
mikena32@comcast.net

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Wayne, I've always used UV filters on cameras for protection. I can't really see much difference in the photos though. I use one now on my Oly E10, but not on my Canon G2.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Wayne,

Depending upon what camera model you have, you could have the same problem as Mike. I've had one on my Nikon 950 for quite some time. Mostly to protect my lens as Larry does with his. I recently removed it and really can't tell the difference in photo quality or focusing but my photography leaves a lot to be desired anyway. Smile

If for no other reason, I would recommend using one for lens protection. There's less chance of damage to the camera's lens, especially during cleaning.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Mike,
If you used a linear polarizing filter on a camera (either film or digital) rather than the circular filter shown on Wayne's scan, it can screw up the auto focus system. Polarizers are great for eliminating unwanted hard reflections, but the circular type must be used on a camera with auto focus. Other filters such as UV should have no effect on any autofocus system.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Ed,I agree with your statement about polarizing filters. I don't have a digital camera yet,but using the polar filter with a 35mm gives really amazing color saturation while cutting the glare and reflection-and the filter can be turned to give the most desired results. I hope that the digital that I eventually buy will accept my screw-on polar filter-if not,I guess I'll have to tape it on! The only problem I ever encountered with them was when using the flash-the shots tended to be dark and a bit murky,due,no doubt,to the glare supression of the filter.

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002