Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Calling all or any computer guys for help "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Seems I cannot transfer pictures from my new Nikon 4800 to my computer. I called Nikon technican, he walked me thru a few things which did not work. He determined my computer is not able to install mass storage drivers, (whatever that means Smile Confused.

Can anyone be of help?

P. S. I called Toshiba, of course there would be a charge of $35. so I opted not.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Stephanie,

I've just checked the specs. of your Nikon 4800. It looks as if it has around 13.5 MB of internal memory ( correct ?). It also looks as if you can use the USB cable to transfer images directly to your PC. What version of windows does your PC have, and what was the software that came along with your camera. ?

Alternatively, you can use removable SD/MMC media to store your images on. There should be a slot on your camera to accept this type of storage media. If you have, you could buy a WELKIN reader for about $20.00, it should also come with it's own software. This would allow you to load images to your PC via a USB connection. Incidentally this is the preferred method I've been using for years with a series of Cannon cameras.

I hope this helps.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Hi Dave,
Thanks for responding.

Yes, camera has 13.5 MB of internal memory. I have a Toshiba laptop using Windows XP Home Edition.

I talked with 4 Nikon techs today spending HOURS on the phone. They walked me thru various trouble shooting and nothing seemed to work. We even tried taking pictures using internal memory, then tranferring them to computer and that did not work.
When I purchased my SD memory card, I also purchased a portable USB 2.0 SD card reader. It did not come with any software. I tried using it but that did not work either.

Last tech I talked with said to check the camera and USB cable to another computer to see if that computer has same problem. If not, then a Nikon tech will review my system information they requested I emailed and did. Dave, I'm so frustrated at the moment. Frown Frown Roll Eyes Frown

I thought this would be simple. Nothing is simple. All I wanted to do was transfer my pictures from my camera to computer. Frown

Any suggestions?

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Stephanie,
why don't you take your card reader and your memory card (one with pictures on it) to either Best Buy or Circuit City and see if they'd try hooking it up to one of their computers to see if they can see your images. It may help them & you trouble shoot the problem

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Stephanie, hit start & check your programs for Picture Package, which is the Nikon software. If it's there, you may have to designate the port(USB connection. If not there, try re-loading the software that came with the camera. I have a Nikon 5200 & haven't had any problems(yet! Smile).

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Hi Dave & Sam,

I just returned from Circuit City. Tech was able to view my pictures on his laptop. So, that means no problem with my camera or USB cable.

Technician seems to think I have a USB port problem. He said I should update USB port drivers.

P. S. Nikon 4800 came with PictureProject 1.0. Nikon tech even sent me updated PictureProject 1.6 and that did not help.

Can someone walk me thru? Clueless Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Stephanie,
here's a link to a USB Driver site which may be of help to you. I don't know this site so I can't vouch for it. Maybe the safest route is to take your laptop back to the guy at Circuit City to see if he can diagnose the USB port problem and come up with a fix.

http://www.totallydrivers.com/drivers/drivers_usb.asp

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
This is what I found on adding/deleting,etc ports. This is from the Dell support web page, but should be similar. I'm not versed on all computer functions, but you can also go through all the icons in the "Control Panel' on your computer & probably find info too. Occasionally I do this just to have an idea of where something is-these things are mazes

quote:
To add a port
Open Printers and Faxes.
On the File menu, click Server Properties.
Click the Ports tab, and then click Add Port.
In the Available port types list, click a port name to select it. By default, only Local Port and Standard TCP/IP Port appear in the Available port types list.
If you want to add a Line Printer Remote (LPR) port, you need to install the optional networking component, Print Services for Unix. Once you do so, LPR Port will display as one of the available port types. For more information, click Related Topics.

To add other port types, click New Port Type, type the path to the compact disc containing the necessary files, and click OK.

After clicking the port type in the Printer Ports dialog box, click New Port.
Type a name that describes this port, and then click OK.
On the Printer Ports dialog box, click Close.
If necessary, configure the port by clicking Configure Port. Different types of ports have different characteristics that you can configure. To find out what each characteristic means, once you have clicked Configure Port, right-click a characteristic you want to learn about, and then click What's This?. A description of that characteristic will appear. To make the description go away, click it. Once you have finished configuring the port, click OK.
Click Close to close the Print Server Properties dialog box.
Notes

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers and Faxes.
For a list of ports you can add, and information about adding them, click Related Topics.
If you add a port using the Add Printer Wizard, the port you add will appear in the list.