Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cameras "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
For those of you who might still be in the market for a camera, you might take a look at the Canon G series. I just bought an older G2 4 megapixel and took this shot. Good contrast and sharpness. Much better than my Olympus. This camera can be as easy or as hard to use as you want it to be. The linked pic was shot in totally auto mode. The G series also offers good macro which is important to us for watch shots. It's an older model, but still very capable.

Larry

http://www.mwt.net/~check/st1.jpg

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Larry,

I'm still in the market for a digital camera but do not know which to choose. Let's see what your new purchase can do with a movement. Roll Eyes Can you snap one and post? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Sure Steph, make me work. Okay, here's a movement shot very quickly done. Auto everything again. I let the camera make all the critical decisions for me. Big Grin

http://www.mwt.net/~check/950.jpg

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Wow!! You are right, it takes great pictures, and on automatic. I'm impressed! Eek Thanks Larry.

I want to know more about your digital camera. Will you provide the information I need to research and check it out further? Confused

Thanks again. Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Why certainly.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/g2.html

These cameras retailed for 999.00 two years ago, but today, they can be purchased for less than 400.00 I might add that these cameras, as well as Nikons, are set to higher contrast settings internally. This works out great for capturing fine detail on a watch.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Stephanie,

What you might not be aware of is Larry's lighting set-up which plays a big part in his remarkable pictures.

Give us the low-down on lighting Larry!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Lindell, I generally use a good light set-up. But on these two shots, all I used was the trusty Ott Lite. Nothing creative at all, just a quicky shot with the camera in charge. Smile

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

IHC Life Member
posted
Another movement shot. Wristwatch this time. I'm really starting to like this Canon G2.

http://www.mwt.net/~larry/go.jpg

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Larry, what accessories do you have/recommend for the G2?

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Sam, I've only had this camera for a few days, so I don't have any accessories with the exception of a larger memory card. I don't see the need either. This camera works well right out of the box with a good macro too. Good lighting and white paper for diffusion is all I need.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Larry...thanks to you I know what I want/need in a macro digital...a Canon G2 and an Ott-Lite...thanks!...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Just a little insight into the G2 and it older brother the G1.. I use both in my work and both are excellent choices.. The G2 will give you the biggest bang for your buck.. Most of my pictures are from a distance of 10-15 feet away. It is also very user friendly. If you can pick up either for around 400, jump on it.. We paid 800 for ours about 18 months ago.. No problems with either camera (battery, media cards, etc

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I wonder if it might not be useful to open a new forum for camera discussions. The Canon G series seems like a great choice for those still looking, and a continuing thread on the models in this series would be a boon to those buying and learning to use these marvelous cameras. I could envision this forum under the Photo Gallery section or under Technical And Shop Talk.

If I did not already have a nice camera this might be my choice as well. However, I invested not too long ago in another nice camera, one of the Nikon Coolpix models. I believe others have these as well, but we are all at various stages in learning how to make the best use of it. I can think of many questions I might ask those who have had theirs longer, and I might even be able to help with some things I have learned through experience.

I do not know if one thread would suffice for each camera series, or if the models within the series are different enough to warrant their own thread. What do you other digital camera users think?

[I thought of this as I jealously admired the depth of field in Larry's photos and wondered how to get the same, if possible, with my camera. Great pix, Larry!!]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
LarryS
What model of Olympus were you using? The photo's you posted are great, outstanding detail/focus. Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry, the key to good depth of field is a good macro. The closer you can get, the better. Also, if your Coolpix has any manual controls, which I suspect it does, choose a smaller aperture. The shot of my GO wristwatch was shot at f6.3. This is the only adjustment I made to take this shot. Everything elses was automatic. Wayne, I also use an Olympus E10. This camera does not have a very good macro, but it can be used in full zoom, so I could still get close-up shots. The problem though was zooming creates shallow depth of field. So, the key to getting in focus watch shots is stop down the aperture and get as close as you can.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)