• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

sizing digital pictures "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just got a new Nikon DX 5000 (and close-up lenses) that takes great pictures, but the images are as big as a movie screen. Every time I try to resize the images I wind up with nothing left but the upper left hand corner. How the heck do I reduce the size?

Steve Gossard

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Steve,

Multi-mega-pixels in newer cameras such as the 12.3 Megapixels in your Nikon DX 5000 does a lot to improve picture quality, but as you pointed out we do not always need gigantic poster sized or wall mural images. When it comes to sharing through eMails or posting on the Internet the pixels need to be cut way, way down. Software to accomplish this likely came with your camera. You can also change settings on the camera, but since the aforementioned software allows more flexibility that is usually the way to go.

You described ending up with only a corner of the image so that makes me think you are using imaging software but perhaps you just need to figure it out completely. My impression is you are cropping the image which is the term for cutting out unwanted areas rather than actually reducing the overall size. If you are using Nikon software my suggestion would be to call 1-800-645-6689 as described here...

CLICK FOR: Nikon Technical and Service Support

When I download images from my Nikon they first go into iPhoto where I select the ones I want to save. Then, one by one I process them in "Photoshop Elements" (See HELP IN POSTING IMAGES for other software suggestions) in order to balance brightness, contrast and such. That could essentially be done in either of those programs and so could changing the size of the image, usually 640 X 480 is good for Internet use, as well as cutting the resolution to less than 100 Kbps which is also important for posting here on IHC185 as well as eMail sharing and the like.

This is complicated at first but it becomes easier with practice.

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lindell. I'll keep working with it.

Steve

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Use IrfanView, it will automatically display the images sized for your screen and then you can easily crop and resize them however you want. I also just use the importing feature built into Windows to get the images from the camera and then open, edit, and resave them with IrfanView.

Sorry I didn't realize this was such an old thread.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Donald,
I use IrfanView also. But I still haven't figured out how to make a collage.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
That's easy Dave. You choose to create a new panorama image. Then you add the pictures you want, reorder them how you like, choose horizontal or vertical orientation, and click on create image.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Donald, That all sounds familiar. I'll play with it again.
Thanks,

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011