Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Free advice on Camera purchases/repairs/problems "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hey guys,

I am here to offer my services on my knowledge of photography and cameras. I do not have a website yet, but I have been selling on ebay for the past 2 years and I'm finally starting to expand.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions on techniques, camera purchases, or even services that are needed on a camera. I've been in the repair business for almost 10 years now and have seen all types of cameras.

For the quickest reply, email me at sdcamerasolutions@gmail.com or post here.

I am not an avid watch collector or "horologist" but I have done business with Lin just recently.

Well, I'm excited to offer my services here and I hope I will be a useful resource for you guys in the future.

Thanks!

-Don

Posts: 4 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: January 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Don,
Welcome to our 185 site. As watch collectors we like to take close up pictures of our watches. Which camers have a great macro feature for close up shots of our watches? Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Don, We are all most appreciative having you here. We are always looking for ideas on how to get better macros, and having someone with the ability to repair is a bonus. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Sorry for the delayed reply!

Well, I'm sure most of you know the Nikon 950 digital for the macro shots. But that camera is no longer available, it is a discontinued one.

The Nikon S10 is a model from 2006 that has a similar lens system. You can find the S10 on Ebay and Amazon for around $250. The macro quality will be similar to the 950.

If you have some dollars lying around. Get a digital SLR body and macro lens. That will probably give you the highest quality picture.

A 60mm Macro will give you the ability to get extremely close to the subject but the appearance of the object will not be multiplied when looking through viewfinder of the camera.

If you want something with a little more zoom multiplication factor. Check out the Tokina 100mm Macro or the Nikon 105mm (in used condition, they are no longer made new I assume). These lens + a digital SLR will give you a 2x Multiplication factory when taking the picture. A good macro lens will run you around $500 + the digital SLR body.

This is a start, but I will add more information as I get the opportunity.

I buy most my equipment through

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Check out my website:
http://www.sdcamerasolution.com

Posts: 4 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: January 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
So the general rule for a camera with a better macro is an increased millimeter range? A 120mm macro would better than a 80mm macro? I'm a bit lost with the terminology; I just want the most bang for the buck on a camera with a very good macro capability. Thanks.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Well I just bought a Cannon PS5 IS even in poor light as below gives a good photo, has super macro, in the detailed descriptions they tell you the minimum focus distance this one says 0-10cm for super macro, standard macro 10 to 39cm then out as per normal I think it is a 8 meg also will take a 4Gb card and batteries seem to last well. Comes with software simple enough for me to use and edit. Camara can do all kind of amazing tricks also.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Don,
I have listed on ebay a Sunpak 433AF that I use to use on my Canon EOS-1N (film) and it is a dedicated TTL unit and I was wondering if the Digital SLR's of today still use the TTL flash metering or have all gone to the ETTL. I know this doesn't meter correctly on my S5IS because I tied it so I decided to get rid of it.
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
For all of you out there who would like to enhance your photos I bought a light box from Alzo Digital for under a hundred dollars and it comes with a light box and two cool white lamps. It works great. If you go to the "Bunn Sets" discussion on the Ebay discussion board it is one of the first discussions. These were some of my photos.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008