Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How can this snafu be avoided? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Okay fellas, check this out. It's sort of funny. When I finally do purchase my digital camera, I'm sure I will do the same. Red Face

How can this be avoided? Confused Now look closely at this pic and you will know what I am referring to. Big Grin

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Stephanie,
If you do it just right you can get a fair self-portrait.
I`m no photographer but I think the answer would be to tilt the subject just slightly and have a blank card or screen adjusted so that this surface is reflected off of the object. Don`t know whether a dark or light surface would work best.

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
You can buy a difficult to use camera such as you see in that image and find yourself in the reflection as well as hovering over the subject shutting out the light. There's an eBay seller who uses an unsuitable camera, his pictures all look like he is trying to photograph from the side in order to avoid reflections, that must be frustrating. Kenny mentioned one very good way to minimize it, but frankly I don't like those complications.

Look at the image below. You can buy a one-piece camera like the one on the screen and be severely restricted or an easy to use camera like the one in the foreground. This goes to the point of what I've been saying about the flexibility a camera must have in order to do our kind of photography well.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Andy,
My guess would be to have a pretty girl holding the camera! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Kenny, thanks for your input. Smile

Lindell,
Flexibility of a camera seems vital in taking good pictures. Thanks for making a valid point. Smile What is your camera sitting on? Confused I may want to purchase one as it seems like a good enhancement in taking close-ups.

Andy, love the incons. Razz Razz

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Stephanie,

Its a very small tripod -

Olympus Tripod

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
You'd be surprised at the reflected images that sometimes appear in pictures of otherwise mundane items.

As a case in point, the gentleman below was attempting to sell a Revere Ware tea kettle on a popular Internet auction site.

Suffice it to say, he was not a vampire.

==================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Wayne C.
Thanks for posting a pic of small tripod. Seems like it's the way to go for the right shot in taking closeups of watches. ! Smile

Steve M.
At first glance the reflection of what the man is doing looks obscene. Red Face My,oh my. Red Face Big Grin Big Grin Thanks for posting that funny pic! Smile

I think a good way to avoid reflective pics and keep the camera steady is a small tripod. Any other suggestions or helpful hints? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Well, obviously it's helpful to take pictures of reflective objects from an angle, rather than straight-on. Unfortunately, as in the case of the man with the tea kettle above, when the object is dome-shaped, the reflection becomes a panoramic view of the entire area.

Surrounding an item to be photographed under a "shroud," is quite helpful in eliminating many unwanted reflections. Of course, the camera lens still has to be present somewhere inside the shroud, and there really isn't any way to absolutely prevent it from showing, save for "airbrushing" it away with a photo editing program.

By the way, speaking of the gentleman above, I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he just returned from a brief swim in his Speedos. Also, given the distortion of the image caused by the curvature of the kettle, he may not be as portly as it appears, but I'm sure most people interested in his auction item would have found it more appealing without him in the image.

===================

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
How do I take a picture of my camera if I want to sell it? Confused Confused Confused

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John D.
You use the new camera you just purchased to take a picture of the old camera you want to sell!

Brownie

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Any suggestions in avoiding reflections in glass domes? Such as when you visit a museum and they will not let you remove the glass domes to get a good photo!

Refelection

IHC Life Member
posted
You can always use your clone tool to clean an image up. It's not perfect, but it helps. Smile

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
anyone need this pic ? Roll Eyes Smile

NIKON 4500

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Mike, that's my new camera I just ordered. Eek

We shelled out a lot of dough for it but she says it's worth every penny! Big Grin EekBig Grin Eek Big Grin EekBig Grin

John D. Duvall

posted
John D
What a great picture - looking forward to seeing great pictures taken by that new digital camera, and a report on how it operates.

PS Great T-shirt

posted
John, will you be selling your OLD Camera? Confused

Here maybe? Eek Big Grin

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Wayne/Mike,

This was taken with the old Nikon 950. It's kinda hard to tell which model it is because the picture is quite dark. My new camera should arrive next week. I will wait and see how the new camera performs before selling the old one. I'll let you know Mike.

John D. Duvall

posted
Guys,
Thanks for all of your responses as well as good discussion on reflections, including glass! Interesting. Smile

John Du-Good,
Very nice picture of you! Smile Wink

Stephanie O'Neil