Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Depth of Field "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Since we now have this new forum, thanks Lindell, I thought I'd post a bit on depth of field. Here are 3 examples of an identical ruler shot the same in all cases with the exception of f stops. Same lighting and auto focus every time. The first shot was taken using f2.0. As you can see, only a very small portion of the ruler is in focus.

The second shot uses f4.5. More of the ruler is in focus.

The third shot was set at f8.0. More of the ruler is in focus. Aperture makes all the difference.

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Notice however that what you gain in focus using a smaller aperture, you lose some detail and contrast. The final image is softer than the first. I guess we can't have everything. Smile

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Larry,

Are these shots taken with your Canon G2? Confused

Depth of Field - Great information. Good examples. I'm looking for a digital camera that is easy to operate as well as getting in on those wonderful crevice watch shots! Eek

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
You make it look easy Larry!

Excellent information for all of us.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Yup, the Canon G2. Lindell, will we be able to upload photos on this message board?

Larry

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Larry,

Thanks for pointing out my oversight, there was one switch I neglected to throw earlier... sorry!
Everything should be flying right now. We just tested the system and everything's ready.

Keep the great advice coming my friend.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002