Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Manipulation of Watch Hairsprings "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
This one seemed like one of the more accessible treatises on a complicated topic.

Manipulation of Watch Hairsprings

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks VERY much for posting this!

Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Bob, thanks, I'm glad someone was interested in it. Feel free to copy it,
print it out, make into a PDF, etc. One thing, don't use it for financial
gain. That's about it.

I just love that first paragraph on page 3.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hairspring manipulation is all about practice and a great deal of patience in doing so, its one of the first thing you learn in watchmaking school spending a substantial amount of time just correcting bare hairsprings, progressing onto overcoil creation vibrating etc later on, some people will never be able to meet the required standards and fail the course within weeks on this alone, in the same manner as person will never be able to paint a picture no matter how much tuition is given (of course you can always call it modern art!).
I have seen all kind of gizmo’s to do hairspring work that often get big money, none I have seen yet are of any use, here is one I was given, you can rotate the lower pin and drive the other in and out, suppose to untangle hairspring, it caused more problems than its worth, cant beat two good well shaped pair of tweezers.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003