WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BROTHERHOOD of RAILROAD TRAINMEN 120th ANNIVERSARY "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
BROTHERHOOD of RAILROAD TRAINMEN 120th ANNIVERSARY

120 years ago on this date In 1883 eight men met in Delaware & Hudson R.R. caboose No. 10 at Oneonta, New York to talk about working conditions a few days later on September 23rd 1883 the Grand Lodge of the "Brotherhood of Railroad Brakemen" (BofRB) was organized the Oneonta lodge was called " EV Debs Lodge No. 1" in honor of Eugene Victor Debs Grand Secretary & Treasurer of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen. He provided a great assistance in forming the infant organization. The name of the organization was changed January the 1st 1890 to the "BROTHERHOOD of RAILROAD TRAINMEN" (BofRT) in the 1920s the members of Lodge 1, which incidentally had changed their name to "Daniel Hopkins", in order to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the formation of the Brotherhood found caboose No. 10 which had deteriorated over the years and with the help of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad brought it back to Oneonta and restored it to its original condition and placed it under a pagoda in Newahwa park. On September 23rd, 1924 a ceremony was held to celebrate this occasion four of the eight men were still living and attended. I have ended up with the personal scrapbook of one of them Elmer Wessel here are some of his pictures and notes along with excerpts from the Railroad Trainmen's Journal of November 1924.

Here is a photograph of the Dedication Ceremony held September 23rd, 1924...

Speakers and group of B. of R.T. men and friends attending dedication of historic caboose. Left to right J. A. Judge, A. L. Chaplain, Lieut. Governor Lunn J. T. Lowe, Vice President and General Manager of the D&H. RR, W. G. Lee President of the B. of R.T., T. L. Bolton Mayor of Oneonta, C. G. Woodworth, W. C. Gurney, Elmer Wessel, Martin Ryan, little girl Miss Marguerite Cline who broke a bottle of prune juice over the bumper of the caboose

Buchaneer

IHC Charter Member 28
IHC Life Member (L7)

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Here is another picture of Elmer Wessel, taken when he was 19 years old at the time the Brotherhood was organized...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
This one was taken about the time of the 41st anniversary celebration in Oneonta New York. Elmer is in his shirtsleeves standing up on the running board of the truck...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Here is the "Deleware & Hudson Caboose Number 10" enshrined...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Out of curiousity, does the old caboose and pagota still exist? Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Mark:

Yes the Caboose is still in Neahwa Park in Oneonta under the pagoda, and is being cared for by the Leather Stocking chapter of the National Railroad Historical Society. Unfortunately vandalism in the Park has forced the caretakers to have to enclose the pagoda in glass. Here is a postcard view taken bank in the 1960s I would guess.

Also there is some other photos of the Shrine if you do a search at page http://LRHS.com] this is a web site for the Leatherstocking Railroad Historical Society and the Pictures Are under the LRHS Scrapbook

Buchaneer

IHC Charter Member 28
IHC Life Member (L7)

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Here is the Dedication Invitation Dated September 23, 1924...

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Boy,

Look at that first picture above and take a gander at all those chains hanging from those vests! Wouldn't you just love to know what was tucked in all those watch pockets?

Thanks Larry!

David Johnson aka "Doc"
NAWCC Member #155016
IHC Member #169
HisLove1Me! (just ask!)

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
I have several Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen
Dues receipts.
One receipt I believe I acquired when I was out
West some years ago. It Has punched into the
receipt 61 which I assume is the lodge #. Also
Huron is written on the line marked Lodge.Dated 1904.
Any help on where this lodge was located would be
appreciated.
It may be of interest to some that:

Also I have several lodge dues receipts marked
Cincinnatus # 146. Dated 1914 through 1926.
Also I have an official Brother of Railroad
Trainmen Lima Ohio lodge 900(?) Dayton Ohio List of members
of CHD(?) now in service signed Fraternally yours,
J.H.Cock(sp) 1904.

Bernie Levine

Posts: 43 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: October 04, 2005
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bernie:

Huron Lodge #61 was chartered on February 3, 1885 in Huron, South Dakota it represented Trainmen employed by the Chicago and North Western Railroad. Cincinnatus Lodge #148 was chartered on February 24, 1887 in Cincinnati, Ohio and represented Trainmen employed by the Pennsylvania Company (Western lines) Cincinnati Division Yard, Milwaukee Road Yard and Road, and Chesapeake and Ohio (South) Yard employees. The charter for Lodge #900 was surrendered sometimes before November 18, 1917 when it was reissued as All True in Chicago, Illinois and represented Illinois Central Yard employees. Hopes this helps you out with your inquiry.

Buchaneer