Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ultrasonic cleaning of watches and parts "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Greetings all,

Hope you had a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

I have been using an ultrasonic cleaning machine for some time now and have had great results with it but have a questions for others that may be doing the same. Have any of you found that the use of this process results in loosening of roller table jewels or pallet fork jewels? I'm wondering if the ultrasonic process is able to breakdown the shellac bonds? I'm using cleaning fluids which are made for ultrasonic cleaning and typically do not allow these parts to sit in the the fluid baths for a long time. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with this.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 1650
posted
Serge

I use Zenith Radiant cleaner and Zenith Drizebrite for rinses and haven't had issues with shellac dissolving. I occasionally do find loose roller or pallet jewels, though. I attribute it to old age rather than the cleaning process.

Regards

Doug

Posts: 370 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your feedback. I kind of suspected the same thing... if they were loose to begin with or had a poor bond, the cleaning would only make matters worse. I have been using L&R non-ammonia fluids for several years with very good results but I have also heard good things about the Zenith products. I look forward to giving that a try.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
posted
Say I know this is an old post but have been looking at ammonia (free) Ultrasonic cleaners. I was confused by the description. It is printed ammonia free on the label but when you read the details its actually free of ammonia smell and still ammonia bonded to other chemical that does not let it evaporate. That does not keep it from removing a finish so not sure where to go from here.

Posts: 8 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: May 13, 2016