• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Smiths of Enfield Westminster chime issues "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, my mantle clock only chimes on the hour - twice and strikes also during the second chime. On the quarter, half and three quarter hour it clicks like it should chime but does not release. I cannot work out how it should work and it’s driving me nuts. Please put me out of my misery. Many thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Dorchester in the United Kingdom | Registered: October 13, 2018
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Andy and welcome to IHC.

I see no one has responded to your question. With all do respect your question is a bit confusing.

If you are still having trouble, try explaining your question clearer, or show us a photo of clock face and hand position and tell what it is striking or chimeing, also is it running?

Good Luck,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
posted
Hi Tim, thanks for your reply. Ok, time side runs great, no issues. Turn minute hand to quarter, slight audible click but no chime. Continue minute hand to half, same audible click but no chime. Same when hand turned to three quarter hour mark - pausing each time to check for mechanism to start. When minute hand is moved to the hour (12), the full Westminster chime sounds - and then immediately starts again - without pausing but the hour gongs also sound around halfway through this second full Westminster chime. That’s about it and without posting a video (not sure how to do that) I’m not sure I can explain any better. My understanding is that it should part chime at the quarter mark, again at the half past mark and again when it reaches the three quarter mark. On the hour, the full chime should sound once followed by the gongs which strike the hour. Mine runs through the full chime twice with the hour strikes only when the minute hand is on 12. How do I fix this?

Andy

Posts: 5 | Location: Dorchester in the United Kingdom | Registered: October 13, 2018
IHC Member 1725
posted
Very good Andy!

I would think a lever between the plates sticking, but without seeing it working, hard to tell. We have some good clock guys here that well know more, and might chime in.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'm no clock expert, but first off, is the chime spring wound? I know, silly question.

Have you tried to help it a little during one of the quarter hour chimes? Maybe the movement is dirty and needs cleaning. If you assist it by moving a wheel or the fly during the cycle, then see if it will chime.

Does it have a chime shutoff switch?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Hi Dave, thank you for replying. All three springs are wound. I have gently tempted the governor at the quarter points but something prevents it from moving like a locking lever and the train retracts back to where it was. There is a chime silence lever but I removed it as the motion is out of the case. I will check to see what prevents the chime train from moving at the quarter/half hour points though and post back. Thanks again

Andy

posted
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE CHIME CORRECTOR, ALSO THE RACK MAYBE JAMMED. EDDIE HINES

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Hi Eddie, where do I find the chime corrector please? I will check the rack to see if it is free and post back. Many thanks for your input.

Andy

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
quote "I have gently tempted the governor at the quarter points but something prevents it from moving like a locking lever and the train retracts back to where it was."

If this clock has been apart and cleaned lately, the timing might be off. Sounds like the train is locked on the warning pin.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Hi Dave, this old clock has definitely not been apart lately - if ever. There are no tell tale marks on the screw heads and the wheels are stuck on the spindles when the locking screws are undone which tells me that it should all be timed correctly (theoretically). That said - it is possible that someone may have moved the frames apart at some stage (why, I don’t know). Everything spins freely - just not at the right time. I have successfully dismantled cuckoo clocks and striking mantle clocks, reassembled them to working order but never a chiming clock. My knowledge is limited but I’m interested. Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Andy

posted
ANDY THE CHIME CORRECTOR IS OR SHOULD BE LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FRONT PLATE NEAR THE CHIME CAM. EDDIE HINES

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008