WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting (if old and long) video of Jewel Bearing Making "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I came across this link and was fascinated. I thought some of you might be as well. It was produced by Elgin--from the looks of it I'd guess in the late 30s or early 40s. It's 72 minutes long, but goes through sapphire jewel manufacturing from the boule to the finished jewels. Pretty amazing to see what's involved, especially when you can still pick them up for a few bucks (less in bulk).

Elgin Jewel Bearing Manufacturing Film

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Evan, thanks for posting this, it is a very through explanation of past mass production techniques. I wonder how close current techniques are to these?

Re the date: the introduction says that the jewel production is for the needs of WWII. The end of the movie shows the face of an Elgin chronometer which includes "1943", which I assume is the date. Did Elgin military chronometers normally have their production date on the dial, or was that done for the movie?

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Wow I just come across this video you posted Evan. I wondered why it was so long but after watching it I realized just how much work actually went into making them. Totally amazing thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006