Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Gladiator "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1063
posted
I recently purchased an 1890 Hampden Gladiator from David Abbe and it's causing me to rethink my position concerning 'cheap watches'. This watch is a prodigious timekeeper not losing more than a second or two over the past 36 hours. Is this unusual or is David's skill at servicing/adjusting this lowly 9 jewel movement the true cause of its excellent performance?

Dana

Posts: 242 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2008
posted
Dana, I've got a couple of 7-jewel movements. I didn't buy them for that reason, but because of the dials that they fronted - and if adjusted properly can be excellent timekeepers.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Dana, The Gladiator was a solid design and in my experience a good timekeeper. Webb Ball thought 15 jewels was enough and the 7 jewel watches are actually very good time keepers. Of course Dave probably jeweled yours up to 23 jewels.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
I had a 7 jewel Hampden Champion when I was a kid.It was a nice running, deadly accurate watch.Wish I still had it!Even a 7J watch, if taken care of, will run forever.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
The first watch I bought, when I was a kid, with paper route money, was a Hampden Champion. I still have it.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I, too, have a couple of 7 jewel Elgin's and they are 'right on' time keepers also....
I have come to the conclusion that 7 jewels are all that is needed for a watch to keep excellent time when adjusted properly....
An example of the other extreme is that I also received a 17 jewel Elgin recently and when I wound it fully it ran for 36 hours and gained 17 minutes in the process....obviously it could stand a good COA....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
That Champion I had, I lost somehow, you know when you're a kid you do all kinds of stupid things.I've always kind of missed it, so for old times sake, I recently found one just like it, nice and clean but missing the roller jewel.I'll get it running sometime.Talking about accurate low-jewel watches, I use a 15J unadjusted Waltham gr.620 16S for work, it keeps Railroad time!.....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008