Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help center wheel Hampden 18s "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Fabrizio Di Claudio
posted
Hello!
I have a problem with Hampden 18s center wheel, pinion is not locked but rolling, the some of safety pinion of waltham when is unlocked.
I not understand how fix (lock) it, can some one help me?
Thank you!
Fabrizio

Posts: 77 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 23, 2008
posted
The pinion shaft should be threaded,and the gear should turn until it seats at the bottom of the threads. It may not be catching the threads. Try pushing down on the gear as you turn it. The direction of the arrows in your photo should be the right direction to tighten it. Counter clockwise.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
quote:
The pinion shaft should be threaded,and the gear should turn until it seats at the bottom of the threads. It may not be catching the threads. Try pushing down on the gear as you turn it. The direction of the arrows in your photo should be the right direction to tighten it. Counter clockwise.

Not work, i can't fix it Frown
Thank you

posted
I fixed it ( i hope work and used correct mode ) i used staking tool and hammer on point 3. Smile

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Good work Fabrizio!

And thanks a million to Cecil Smile for your assistance.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello! I Restored it, now working strong Wink

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AMERICANS FRIENDS OF IHC FROM ITALY!

posted
Nice work on that Hampden.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Beautifully Done!!

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Fabrizio, That watch is a handsome watch indeed and you did a great job fixing the dial! Your posts are a pleasure to see! Happy New Year to you and ALL IHC185!

btw: I had a similar problem last week on a very rare Model 1 HC 16s Illinois main wheel and I sweat soldered the wheel to the staff hubs. That stabilized the staff to the wheel without interfering with the "safety pinion" action.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hello David Abbe, in my pignon the whasher is present. After using the staking tool, the pinion turns in one direction and is locked in the other, works well.
I repaird the dial with WWW.SELVA.DE ceramic dust, first i cleaned it with "bath cleaner"

First

After cleaning

With ceramic dust (using alcool lamp )

Thanks!

posted
Fabrizio, Compliments for a job well done and for the outstanding documentation.
Best wishes for a happy new year and many more pocket watch restorations!
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009