Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Uncommon Hampden: 16s The Dueber Watch Co 21j "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Hi All,

Recently got a Hampden which isn't listed anywhere I can find. It is a 16s The Dueber Watch Co. grade 21j, model 4, open face, lever set and adjusted to five positions. The serial # is 2713850.

What do the Hampden experts say?

RR

Dial and Case

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Movement

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Movement Close-Up

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Richard, That's a real beauty.When I first saw the auction picture, I figured it could be bogus, but seeing it now it looks right, the damaskeening matches everywhere on it.I thought at first the pattern was the same as a McKinley, but it is just a little different, especially in the center area.This must be the first one of these to show up.This proves there still could be other unknown Hampden grades out there to be found!Are those gold settings?Looks like a gold center wheel.Nice looking case too. Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Congrats Richard, looks like a nice find. Beautiful to look at too, I love center bridge models, and this one has the added bonus of elaborate floral damaskeening.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1110
posted
Another thing about this watch,The factory I wouldn't think would make only one of this grade.It must have been a small run though.I can't get over the fact that after all those years since this one was made, it just now surfaced.The 18S version was really popular,so you'd think they would have really promoted this 16S, if it was to be made in big numbers.The 18S ones were sold for a lot less than the Special Railways, John Hancocks, and New Railways, so would this 16S have had a lower price tag too?

posted
Gentlemen thank you,

Well there's confirmation on this grade. Serial number 2713837 showed up previously on another site. The movement appears the same although the dial is different. The watches have a polished gold center wheel. At first I thought the jewel settings are gold but after comparing them to others they look more like composite but I'm not sure.

RR

IHC Member 1110
posted
Richard, even though there's at least one more out there, you still have a really rare and really nice one there!They don't show up in any books, so these were found long after the history of Dueber-Hampden was written.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I know this is now an old post, but another one of these 21J 16S Dueber's has surfaced on Ebay, it's #2713855, only 5 away from Rich's serial number, must be out of the same run.Its in Bulgaria, of all places!

posted
Ted,

Thank you for the information. I believe the other two watches observed from this run had lower serial numbers than mine and this one is higher. The Hampden database still isn't showing this run as a 16 size so maybe if enough show up the database will get corrected.

RR

IHC Member 1110
posted
Richard, did you get to see that listing?The watch is nowhere near as nice as yours and the guy had a crazy price on it to boot.You have a pretty rare Hampden , that's for sure!Regards, Ted.

posted
Ted,

I looked for the listing but couldn’t find it.

RR

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Beautiful watch Richard. I have 2 of the 16s John C. Dueber 5p model 4 watches in my collection and at best they are very scarce. I believe at least 1 of mine seems to have a gold train and gold jewel settings. My son has 1 also he inherited years ago. I will add mine to the data base here as soon as I get time. I do look for these and another unusual John C. Dueber, the 18s 4th model 17j 5 position which were railroad grade and were produced around 1908-9 from what I can determine. They also are quite scarce and well made.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi All,
Just leting you know that the watch Ted was talking about on the Bay is in Australia, purchased for a $300.00 mark down. It has identical damaskeening to Richards, looks much better in the flesh as the pictures in the listing did it no favors at all. Case is still in pretty good nick except for a broken hinge pin on the swing out ring (an easy fix). Dial has a little chipping near the sub-dial. I know most people think paying a couple of hundred dollars for a Hampden is sheer folly but it looks a very nice watch.

Regards to all,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Bila, I'm glad to see it ended up going to a good home.There are good dials around if you want to change it.Those are a nice rare Hampden RR watch!Also good to hear they gave you a much better price.It'll be interesting to see if any more of those turn up, seems odd that they just came to light, since Hampden went out so many years ago, and they aren't listed in any of the books.Congrats on getting it.Take care, Ted.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Ted, I will be having a look in my dial collection to see if I have the correct dial, if not I will post in the WTB section, hopefully someone will have one. Take care.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Another one of these 16s 21J. Dueber's has just shown up on Ebay, it is movement number 2713841, looks pretty nice.