Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Garfield "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I have heard of, but never seen, 16s 21J Hampdens that were marked "Garfield" on the dial and movement.There isn't much info in the Hampden book on them.I know they were supposed to be private labels.Would anyone know if that was a jeweler?I think Illinois also made watches with that name.Was there any connection between the Hampden and Illinois Garfields?I remember seeing a Hampden Garfield listed for sale for a whopping 4000.00,don't remember where, though.Seems a little outrageous.Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Ted,

By using the Find-or-Search feature on our site and typing in the word "Garfield" I was able to find several topics with both images and information.

CLICK HERE: Garfield

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks, Debbie, I guess I should have searched here first!Have a great day...Ted.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Ted, The Hampden Garfield for $4000 was offered as I recall by a Lance ? as a Ball watch made by Hampden. I personally do own a 21 Jewel Hampden Garfield 16 size hunter and unfortunately the dial is a double sunk Hampden Arabic used on their railroad watches. I have never seen another and as far as I know it is rare. It was not made for Ball and appears to be the 2nd or third model movement. It is lever set and I have always assumed it was named after the assassinated President Garfield who was from Ohio. I would love to hear of another. I have never acquired a Ball Hampden so this will have to do!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Ted, I do own a 21 jewel Hampden Garfield lever set hunter. I regret to say it has the regular double sunk Arabic dial. I have never seen another or heard of one for sale. The $4000 watch was offered by a fellow named Lance? from California who stated it was produced for Ball. It was not and since Ball and John Dueber did not get along I have no idea why that story put out there. A patently false story but a rare watch.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hey Deacon, if you look at the one he's selling, its a standard Hampden dial marked Garfield .Doesn't even have proper hands on it.I made the mistake of dealing with him once a long time ago, I'll never do it again.It sure isn't a $4000 watch!Regards, Ted.