Internet Horology Club 185
Rare Hampden Dial...17J Special Railway...And a Dilemma

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/469104152/m/5703992777

February 19, 2013, 19:57
Tom Dunn
Rare Hampden Dial...17J Special Railway...And a Dilemma
I've had this one a few years, looks to have same dial as a Canadian Pacific except marked hampden. One lite hl at 7, really a beauty.

17J Special railway movement

Nice hinged case with gold hinges

NOW THE DILEMMA...I had watchmaker COR this because it wasn;t running correctly. he said someone put different balance bridge on it, #s do not match.

This one really deserves to go to a good home with a knowledgeable hampden guy (Deacon?) who will bring it back either by fitting a different balance bridge or better yet putting a 15-17J Railway New railway Special railway or Special Adjusted movement in it #857689

I would consider selling it to the right individual or otherwise keep hoping a movement will show up. What are your thoughts on this dial, etc??

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com
February 22, 2013, 11:44
Lorne Wasylishen
Tom, a watch with the same dial and hands sold on ebay last Dec. It was a Grade 60 in a gold coloured hinged Dueber Hampden display case. Deacon told me those cases were early and quite scarce.

It had 3 bids then disappeared on a BIN.

From some reading the Gr. 60 was the open face forerunner to the identically described Railway.
February 22, 2013, 15:22
Tom Dunn
Thanks, Lorne...yeah, I was disappointed to say the least when I got the bad news on the balance bridge. I have been unable to find a suitable movement for it in a reasonable price range. I did post on here looking for something but no luck. That watch really needs a hi grade hampden in it. My watchmaker had a nice 15J gilt movement he put in it but doesn't do it justice.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com
February 22, 2013, 17:22
Roger Stephens
That's to bad Tom.I do have a 21j.two tone special Railway in the same case.They are very nice cases.
Regards Roger
February 26, 2013, 15:00
Richard M. Jones
Tom, I just acquired a super nice 21j tu-tone Special Railway that needs a dial! Yours would be a great match. What would you want for the watch?

Deacon
February 26, 2013, 17:25
Phillip Sanchez
I don't know anything about these Hampdens will this one work?
Dial is no good.