Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Woolworth Stem Wind "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I just purchased this Hampden Woolworth stem wind, lever set. It shows as being made in 1881 and does not appear in the price guide. Only the key wind version does. After researching it and deciding how much I was willing to pay for it, I noticed that David Abbe listed one that's almost exactly the same and separated from this one by only a small margin in serial number.

So I'm curious what additional information David or anyone else can provide about this watch. As a collector I'm particularly interested in the nascent period of any company or product. This watch is one of the earliest Hampden examples and evidently somewhat rare given the fact that most of the examples one sees are the key wind variety. Have a look and let me know what you think about the watch, the price I paid and the history of it if you know anything about it.

Hampden Woolworth stem winder

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Huh. I'm surprised none of you have a comment on this one.

I'm watching David's to see how his final price compares to mine. I would have bid on his but the one I bought has (supposedly) just been serviced and at least appears to be in its original case. Weird to see two of these appear at virtually the same time...

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Chris, I wish mine goes for over $200.00 which is what this watch deserves at the very Least! What I wrote for my eBay listing at;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...eName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Is;

"This Hampden WOOLWORTH model in a Hunter Cased movement is not even listed in the Price Guide! Many consider it to be a 2 star rare watch that Hampden made by precision detailing and up-jeweling some of the higher grade pre-marked inventory they received from Springfield Watch Co. to start business. This example remains in fine condition, runs well, and is eminently desire able as a collector's piece due to its history of research and possibly much higher value for the rarity of it's brand.

Made by; Hampden Springfield Watch Co

Serial number; 159609

Movement; Woolworth Signed, full Plate, Hunter Case

Wind/Set; Pendant/Lever

Size; 18

# Jewels; 15

# Adjustments; Positions, Temperature, Isochronism

Date of manufacture; 1880

Dial/Hands, Single Sunk Glass/Enamel, Roman numerals, Dual-Tracked minute markers, Moon hands

Case; Gold Filled Tiger

Condition; Very Good, Running

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I'd like to see yours go to a similar price as well. It's a really interesting watch that usually appears in the (price guide listed) key wind version. I'm not sure how many of these were made in stem wind, but in another database suggests less than 6k. I think it's safe to assume that far fewer than were originally made have survived the last 130 years...