Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What do you think of this Special Railway? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What do you think of this Special Railway?

I've been looking for one of these for several years now. They just never seem to be available. Today I got lucky and tripped over this one while checking out some eBay auctions...

Click for auction: "Dueber Hampden Railroad Vintage Gold Pocket Watch"

Check the October 2005 Railroaders' Corner for the chart on page 625 that lists the run this watch movement 3327622 is from. Then look at the image, lower left on page 630 which shows an identical movement 3327477 from the same run.

Auction image, 16s Special Railway movement...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Cool watch. Nice snag Lin!!! Cool

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I'm with you Lindell.

I think the Hampden's are underappreciated.

I have several 18s Special Railways, a couple with fancy dials Smile
but hadn't been able to find a 16s SR.

I do have a nice 16s Railway that I like a whole bunch.

Nice find!

Ron Birchall

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
posted
Ron and Lin,

Could you photo the dials on these watches?? I have a 104 and would like to see any difference.. I really like the mainspring barrel jewel..The demaskeening on the 23 Railway appears a better quality than the 104.........

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
From what I have read, that was about the only difference that could be SEEN between the 104 and the SR.

I have a two tone 17j 18s SR that I love and carry.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
The 23j 104 has raised jewel settings. That is not seen on some of the movements.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I have this 18s 23j Hampden Special Railway and it keeps 'accutron time'...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...especially like keeping these tu-tone movements in display cases...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Looks to me like Lindell's watch has a polished gold area around the balance jewel ... this would be similar to what is seen on the 21 jewel "John C. Dueber" 16 size grade and I think would be another visual difference from the grade 104.

Congrats Lindell and looking forward to hearing more about it when it comes!

Fred

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Fred, this is one I'm really looking forward to receiving... Big Grin

I'd agree with Mark the 23-Jewel premium movements are quite similar, but as Fred pointed out there are "trade-up" differences. The Special Railway was essentially their top grade as you can see in Jim's 18-size example. Jerry is right about the high quality and superior finish in these movements.

Finally, in response to John's request the following two images. The first shows the dials on a grade 104 number 3451636 and a 21-Jewel New Railway number 3459371 both from my collection. The second image to come will show the movements. By the way, the single-sunk dial you will see on the New Railway (right, below) is identical to that on the Special Railway that began this topic.

Dueber-Hampden dials on the 104 and New Railway...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Put on your shades for the movements behind them...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
NICE!!! Eek

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Lindell: My 104, #3327763 has the same damascening pattern as yours, and the same dial. Was that the only dial and pattern used on the 104? Mine is is in a Dueber 10K filled case. What case is on yours?

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
You`ve got a nice one there, Lin!

My first Hampden was the 16s, 23j, SR. It has always been my best and favorite watch and is the main reason I collect Hampdens. I also have an 18s, 21j, SR, an 18s,21j North American Railway and a 16s, 19j Railway. All super watches!

Smile Smile Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
Those are awesome watches, you must have caught them as they dropped off the assembly line.
I have a family heirloom model No. 125, serial #3587476, 21J, 3 Position. I cannot find a bit of information on it. Anyone know about a #125 grade? 1928?

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
Movement image. Please forgive me if I am straying from the topic of the wonderful Special Railway.

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Mathew

According to "Hampden Watch Co" by Hernick and Arnold, your 21j No. 125 was adjusted to 3 positions and probably made in 1923 or 24. Interestingly, serial 3587094 is listed as a pendant set 125 and 3587460 is a lever set 125. There are no serial numbers listed between those numbers.

Is yours pendant or lever?

Ron Birchall

posted
On a tangent- years ago I had a so-so 16 size Wm McKinley 17J that was cleaned by a Soo Line watch inspector watchmaker friend. I wound it same time every morning. I checked the time every Sunday at the same time. It's weekly error was about 6 seconds. One of the most accurate pocket watches I've ever owned. These Hampdens are underrated watches.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Jerry

Lin's 104 is a model 5 (3/4 bridge) movement. There is also a Model 1, 2 and 4 (I don't know if there was a Model 3.) According to Ed and Kent's "Railroader's Corner",, these were not Special Railway movements in spite of the SR in the flag.

My Model 2 No 104 is a hunter with a Roman DS dial. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow.

Ron Birchall

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Here's the dial on my 17j model 2 No 104 ca 1891:

posted
My Mod No. 125 is pendant set.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I will throw one more into the discussion. This is a 16s 23j, #104

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Railway Primus case

Tom

posted
That is a true example of fine art.

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Gorgeous Tom Cool

Was that cased at the factory or married at the jewelers?

Ron Birchall

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ron,
I would guess it was factory cased. The case is a Dueber. But maybe someone with more expertice can comment. Thanks for nice comments.
The back of the case is in good condition as well.

Tom